Fuel Pump and Performance ???????? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-31-2013, 11:48 AM
Member
 

Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Santa Rosa Calif
Posts: 46
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Fuel Pump and Performance ????????

What are the symptoms of a weak and leaky fuel pump?
Found mind to be leaking and last weekend pulling the 5th wheel, I hit a head wind traveling 60mph in 5th gear, at 1800-1900rpms. RPMs started to drop and I could not accelerate to compensate for the lack of speed, so I had to drop it down into 4th and could stay steady at 55mph with about 2300rpms showing on the gauge.
Going up a long, but not so steep grade, had to drop in down into 3rd gear at 2800rpms just to stay at 45 mph.
Each time, my EGR would climb to about 1150*
I bought the truck thinking that a diesel would have no problem pulling almost anything.
My 5th wheel loaded (no water) and the 4 of us in my truck should only be about 10,100 lbs.
I have a Power Hungry 6 position chip (was set on heavy tow)
3.5 Down pipe, no CAT into 4Ē exh.
DIY intake (6630, not sure if thatís right on the filter)
Manual trans, single mass fly and clutch with a 4.10 Rear end
2 wheel drive with standard E rated truck tires, no big meats.
Thatís pretty much all the mods Iv got

I do have a new pump and a Fuel Bowl reseal kit from Diesel O Rings, just wanting to know if I expecting to much from this 1995 F250 PSD
Will be bumbed if I am.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 11-03-2013, 07:03 AM
Member
 

Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Santa Rosa Calif
Posts: 46
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosco69 View Post
What are the symptoms of a weak and leaky fuel pump?
Found mind to be leaking and last weekend pulling the 5th wheel, I hit a head wind traveling 60mph in 5th gear, at 1800-1900rpms. RPMs started to drop and I could not accelerate to compensate for the lack of speed, so I had to drop it down into 4th and could stay steady at 55mph with about 2300rpms showing on the gauge.
Going up a long, but not so steep grade, had to drop in down into 3rd gear at 2800rpms just to stay at 45 mph.
Each time, my EGR would climb to about 1150*
I bought the truck thinking that a diesel would have no problem pulling almost anything.
My 5th wheel loaded (no water) and the 4 of us in my truck should only be about 10,100 lbs.
I have a Power Hungry 6 position chip (was set on heavy tow)
3.5 Down pipe, no CAT into 4Ē exh.
DIY intake (6630, not sure if thatís right on the filter)
Manual trans, single mass fly and clutch with a 4.10 Rear end
2 wheel drive with standard E rated truck tires, no big meats.
Thatís pretty much all the mods Iv got

I do have a new pump and a Fuel Bowl reseal kit from Diesel O Rings, just wanting to know if I expecting to much from this 1995 F250 PSD
Will be bumbed if I am.

Well, I'm not getting any response from my question, so I'll put the new pump and seals in and see what it does.
Being new to diesels, I'll just have to work thought my questions logically myself and "solder on"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 11-06-2013, 04:08 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie
 

Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 8
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
My OBS is set up pretty much the same as yours but no chip. My camper is a 34' 9800# dry weight then you put the wife's stuff and we are close to 10800#. I know I will not win any races but hitting a head wind doesn't slow me down. Also, I recently rebuild the fuel bowl, installed a new pump, and cleaned the regulator screen. It woke the truck up and I don't believe it increased hp. I would replace the fuel pump, clean the regulator screen, and rebuild the fuel bowl but I would check for another fowl issue. It doesn't sound like your getting enough to have to drop that many gears with all the add ons you have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4  
Old 11-06-2013, 04:13 AM
Gun Nut




 

Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Katy, Texas
Posts: 13,845
Thanks: 7
Thanked 34 Times in 24 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Rodslinger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosco69 View Post
Well, I'm not getting any response from my question, so I'll put the new pump and seals in and see what it does.
Being new to diesels, I'll just have to work thought my questions logically myself and "solder on"
No that was our fault - your post got caught in the automatic spam filter and didn't post. I corrected it and all is well now. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 11-06-2013, 06:30 AM
Member
 

Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Santa Rosa Calif
Posts: 46
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thanks for the explanation as to why (no one cared )
Thanks to Rockinthe4B. I will be installing the new pump and rebuilding the bowl this weekend.
Up to this point I’ve done everything I can think of, including cleaning the screen. I hoping it’s just an old leaking pump.
I will post as soon as I know any more, but if others have any IDs I open to suggestions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 11-06-2013, 09:02 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic
 

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Kamloops, BC Canada
Posts: 137
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Try these low cost mods that may help, individually may have little impact but cumulatively (least for my trucks made a difference SOP).

Shim fuel pressure regulator to 65 psi at idle
Clean Fuel Pressure Regulator Screen
Do power peddle mod

For my just new to me White/Silver F250 with out a DP yet the above made a noticeable SOP different.

jrc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 11-06-2013, 10:01 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie
 

Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 8
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcart View Post
Try these low cost mods that may help, individually may have little impact but cumulatively (least for my trucks made a difference SOP).

Shim fuel pressure regulator to 65 psi at idle
Clean Fuel Pressure Regulator Screen
Do power peddle mod

For my just new to me White/Silver F250 with out a DP yet the above made a noticeable SOP different.

jrc
What is the power peddle mod? This one is new to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 11-06-2013, 03:40 PM
Member
 

Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Santa Rosa Calif
Posts: 46
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Iv done all the above mod's but the "Power Peddle" mod???????
But this will still not fix my leak, or answer the ? could this leak cause lack luster power?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 11-07-2013, 05:16 AM
Gun Nut




 

Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Katy, Texas
Posts: 13,845
Thanks: 7
Thanked 34 Times in 24 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Rodslinger
TTT since the spam filter keeps catching Rosco in this thread for some reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 11-07-2013, 05:22 AM
Member
 

Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Santa Rosa Calif
Posts: 46
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodslinger View Post
TTT since the spam filter keeps catching Rosco in this thread for some reason.
Rodeslinger, what does TTT mean, and should I start a new tread becouse of the " spam filter "?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors