97 powerstroke cali model HELP!!!!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2013, 07:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
97 powerstroke cali model HELP!!!!!

ok i bought a 1997 powerstroke cheap guy was told the engine was toast by a shop because of excessive blowby which was do to a glow plug that blew the guts out of it fixed that and found some other issues

so here is what i know and what i have it is a cali model with code ab injectors two of which are not deflecting oil out of the spouts so i bought a set of used code aa injectors not knowing i had code ab injectors is there any reason i cant mix and match? im assuming thats not possible but is there any reason my truck wont run on the single shots when i have split shots?

any help would be greatly appreciated im stuck!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2013, 08:05 AM
Hee Hee, he's doing it...

Will it run? Yes.

Will it be happy? No.

The injectors are different fuel volumes. On acceleration the mismatched injectors will be contributing differently to the system causing "misses". Also, the double pump of the injectors is most noticeable at idle. The AAs not designed to be fired twice in a row make a gnarly sounding engine.
Old 10-29-2013, 02:22 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

you will need custom tuning to run the aa's in your truck.

i have a 96 cali model that i upgraded to ac codes. i had tony wildman do my tuning and have been running it for 4 years and no problems.
Old 10-31-2013, 09:46 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

well it shook bad with the stock splits in it i swapped out to the singles and fired it up tuner free and a little shake i installed my superchip tuner and no shake at all im gonna drive it day after tomorrow see how she runs and work some of the air out thanks for the help
Old 11-01-2013, 07:44 AM

If you can get a Federal PCM (about $100 and something in the NAW4-6 range) and re-pin the harness connector your truck will become very tune-able. Singles are more reliable and that splits PCM can fetch you $800-1000 to someone that is trying to keep a stock truck going.
Old 11-01-2013, 07:23 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

well my dad installed a tuner for the wrong year when i first got my truck and it wiped my pcm clean i got a replacement one from autozone for about 120 did i put a federal one in it?? i have had no weird lights on everything works normal
Old 11-01-2013, 07:42 PM

The two PCMs are not interchangeable. The wires are in different places. Near the connector is a printed sticker. There are three letters and a number. What does yours say? Example, my old Cali PCM was a MME2.
Old 11-01-2013, 09:06 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

well if they are not interchangeable i mush have got the right one haha but all i know is it was 100% better with the singles put in at an idle i still need to drive it though ill try with and without tuner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.