Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

97 powerstroke cali model HELP!!!!!

1K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  dieselkidd 
#1 ·
ok i bought a 1997 powerstroke cheap guy was told the engine was toast by a shop because of excessive blowby which was do to a glow plug that blew the guts out of it fixed that and found some other issues

so here is what i know and what i have it is a cali model with code ab injectors two of which are not deflecting oil out of the spouts so i bought a set of used code aa injectors not knowing i had code ab injectors is there any reason i cant mix and match? im assuming thats not possible but is there any reason my truck wont run on the single shots when i have split shots?

any help would be greatly appreciated im stuck!!!!!!!!!!!!

#2 ·
Will it run? Yes.

Will it be happy? No.

The injectors are different fuel volumes. On acceleration the mismatched injectors will be contributing differently to the system causing "misses". Also, the double pump of the injectors is most noticeable at idle. The AAs not designed to be fired twice in a row make a gnarly sounding engine.

#3 ·
you will need custom tuning to run the aa's in your truck.

i have a 96 cali model that i upgraded to ac codes. i had tony wildman do my tuning and have been running it for 4 years and no problems.

#4 ·
well it shook bad with the stock splits in it i swapped out to the singles and fired it up tuner free and a little shake i installed my superchip tuner and no shake at all im gonna drive it day after tomorrow see how she runs and work some of the air out thanks for the help

#5 ·
If you can get a Federal PCM (about $100 and something in the NAW4-6 range) and re-pin the harness connector your truck will become very tune-able. Singles are more reliable and that splits PCM can fetch you $800-1000 to someone that is trying to keep a stock truck going.

#7 ·
The two PCMs are not interchangeable. The wires are in different places. Near the connector is a printed sticker. There are three letters and a number. What does yours say? Example, my old Cali PCM was a MME2.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.