Dies, low-to-no accelleration, ICP sensor/part differences - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2013, 09:55 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Dies, low-to-no accelleration, ICP sensor/part differences

My 7.3 has a new ICP sensor & now it starts & runs some, but dies as you slow down, cutting out running completely & strands you overnight not starting or accellerating, for some reason later deciding to run some so I wonder if the ICP sensor needs gel at the connector point? The connections are very clean. I want to check the injector glow plug connectors in case someone that worked on it prior didn't make sure there was no oil on them so I'll go try to get a manual showing how to do that tomorrow. Does anyone know the name of a really good manual I can get & where to get it? I'm not a guy or someone with extensive knowledge, but want to start trying to do some things myself if possible that costs less. I am so grateful for this site. I have also wondered if it was injector connectors or a fuel pump or throttle position sensor, some part stores call that a throttle switch control, but I wondered if maybe that's a different part? Can someone tell me what a IPR is? Now this got confusing because NAPA's throttle position sensors didn't have the right connection end & when the part was returned they said they didn't carry the one my F250 has by the accelleration pedal. Same with the local Ford. Does anyone know where I can order the right replacement throttle position sensor to try to see if this is what it is?

And what the difference is between that & the glow plug relay? Also, would a cylanoid not distributing power properly caus it to die? Mine seems ok but I don't know. I have a good Snap-On digital multimeter but need a good mechanic book to show me how to properly test the cylanoid. Any good books & where to get them would help because it's slow going trying to ask people for every little thing. After breaking down 2 days in Thermopis, Wyoming a couple weeks ago, I had to pay $266.66 & why it went down ignoring the accelleration pedal was not resolved. After 2 days in the shop with the mechanic unable to start it, at all, or resolve, it suddenly 'just started.' Codes didn't aid in showing anything related so after resetting codes, broke down again over night in Moses Lake, WA a couple days later the same way. It started the next day but was sputtering, grabbing real bad not accellerating or going forward smoothly at all or properly when it did start the next day. It would smooth 'some' on a higher idle after it would start again, but not at all on the low idle. Does reach a point though when it dies where it won't start. It was just terrible to watch & so discouraging. Almost all my injectors are new but 2. Engine is rebuilt with about 660 miles on it, it is really discouraging & unsafe to have to fear being stranded on the highway far away from everybody. And in the cold weather this is even worse. I appreciate anybody's & everybody's help very much & thank you.

Last edited by nightofstars; 10-27-2013 at 09:57 PM. Reason: Misspells
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2013, 07:59 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Ok, first things first.

You need to rule out that the CPS (Cam Position Sensor) isnt the culprit.
This tend to go bad quite often on these trucks, producing the symptoms you are describing. ONLY buy a Ford OEM CPS. Alot of people have bad luck with aftermarket sensors and there isnt much of a price difference. I got mine for $28.59 at my local dealer.
P/N: F7TZ-12K073-B

There are different kinds but we dont need to worry about that right now.

To do a basic and simple test of your UVCH (Under Valve Cover Harness), take off the oil filler cap and smell it. Does it smell like hot oil or burning plastic? Burning plastic smell might indicate a bad UVCH. If you do indeed smell burning plastic, you can take off the valve covers to verify if the connections are bad. Your symptoms dont sound like a bad UVCH though. It will usually set a CEL and miss.

As for a manual, the Ford Service Manuals for the 7.3L is the only one worth any money. Get the one that pertains to your model year, as there are some changes year to year.

Let us know on any updates.

Will.
The Following User Says Thank You to williameub For This Useful Post:
nightofstars (11-20-2013)
Old 10-29-2013, 07:45 AM
Hee Hee, he's doing it...

No smoke from the tailpipe while cranking?

No need to buy a manual, that's what the net is for:

http://www.thedieselstop.com/faq/949...e=stjsd10r.htm
The Following User Says Thank You to BigFuel For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2013, 04:40 PM

CPS Sensor, manuals, etc., reply

Thank you for your kind & prompt reply. The Cam Position Sensor was changed to a Ford part. While this didn't discontinue the issues making taking the truck anywhere unstable, it did help in code the non-Ford sensor was setting off. It is my understanding that the CPS handles timing (synchronizing?) & if a pully is in any kind of disorder, it can set that off also, but typically that part being any non-Ford part is not an ideal situation, so it was changed to a Ford part by the Thermopolis, WY, Canyon Auto mechanic there. Thank you very much for the part number. I'm putting the part number with my Powerstroke.org research results notes as I'm working on this issue. I'm having trouble finding some Ford parts even through Ford. If you see this post & ever have a minute could you write where do you're ordering your parts from (probably a local Ford place)? Maybe I could research some parts at another good place when they say they do not carry a certain part needed now.

I was wondering what a CEL is. Mine was missing some before the ICP sensor was changed. That did improve. Not sure if it was connected to a UVCH issue.

I'm going to get some prices and places on & for the Ford Service Manual for my model year (1995 F250 7.3) and thank you very much for your kind, valuable, information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by williameub View Post
Ok, first things first.

You need to rule out that the CPS (Cam Position Sensor) isnt the culprit.
This tend to go bad quite often on these trucks, producing the symptoms you are describing. ONLY buy a Ford OEM CPS. Alot of people have bad luck with aftermarket sensors and there isnt much of a price difference. I got mine for $28.59 at my local dealer.
P/N: F7TZ-12K073-B

There are different kinds but we dont need to worry about that right now.

To do a basic and simple test of your UVCH (Under Valve Cover Harness), take off the oil filler cap and smell it. Does it smell like hot oil or burning plastic? Burning plastic smell might indicate a bad UVCH. If you do indeed smell burning plastic, you can take off the valve covers to verify if the connections are bad. Your symptoms dont sound like a bad UVCH though. It will usually set a CEL and miss.

As for a manual, the Ford Service Manuals for the 7.3L is the only one worth any money. Get the one that pertains to your model year, as there are some changes year to year.

Let us know on any updates.

Will.
Old 10-29-2013, 04:46 PM

Smoke while cranking, buying manuals, etc., reply

Thank you for the manual link below. I went right to it & have it up on another page to check out. That is really great. The more resources the better.

There wasn't smoke from the tail pipe while cranking. There was some black smoke while hauling my gutted 17 ft. camp trailer in the Big Horn Mountain Pass in Wyoming outside Worland headed to Thermopolis. Lots of steep uphills, wasn't sure why new black smoke was coming out of tail pipe, but it seemed to be only on the steepest hills.

Thank you for your reply. I learn a lot from others thinking about things some that I otherwise cannot figure out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFuel View Post

Old 10-29-2013, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightofstars View Post
Thank you for your kind & prompt reply. The Cam Position Sensor was changed to a Ford part. While this didn't discontinue the issues making taking the truck anywhere unstable, it did help in code the non-Ford sensor was setting off. It is my understanding that the CPS handles timing (synchronizing?) & if a pully is in any kind of disorder, it can set that off also, but typically that part being any non-Ford part is not an ideal situation, so it was changed to a Ford part by the Thermopolis, WY, Canyon Auto mechanic there. Thank you very much for the part number. I'm putting the part number with my Powerstroke.org research results notes as I'm working on this issue. I'm having trouble finding some Ford parts even through Ford. If you see this post & ever have a minute could you write where do you're ordering your parts from (probably a local Ford place)? Maybe I could research some parts at another good place when they say they do not carry a certain part needed now.

I was wondering what a CEL is. Mine was missing some before the ICP sensor was changed. That did improve. Not sure if it was connected to a UVCH issue.

I'm going to get some prices and places on & for the Ford Service Manual for my model year (1995 F250 7.3) and thank you very much for your kind, valuable, information.
I get my Ford parts from Joe Cooper Ford in Midwest City, Oklahoma.

I usually don't buy direct from them, I usually get my parts from RiffRaff Diesel or Diesel O-Rings.

I got my 7.3L manual off eBay for $30. It does refer to the Body and Chassis Manual quite a bit. You can pick up the complete service set (about 5 manuals) for about $150.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 10-29-2013, 04:51 PM

Thank you for the information

I wrote it all down & will be looking into these for parts. I'll try to get one of the manuals for now to get started hoping my issue won't be related to the chassis or body for now, & keep the information for the others on hand. It's always good to have everything.

Quote:
I get my Ford parts from Joe Cooper Ford in Midwest City, Oklahoma.

I usually don't buy direct from them, I usually get my parts from RiffRaff Diesel or Diesel O-Rings.

I got my 7.3L manual off eBay for $30. It does refer to the Body and Chassis Manual quite a bit. You can pick up the complete service set (about 5 manuals) for about $150.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 10-29-2013, 05:04 PM

Can u help me locate the 1995 online manual?

I kept searching around & found I was in the 1996 manual & couldn't get to the 1995 - can you locate that, or is it not there? If you can locate it, can you send back the url address? I'm book marking these pages so I can always go right to them while researching these issues & after. Thank you again for all the information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFuel View Post

Old 10-29-2013, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightofstars View Post
I kept searching around & found I was in the 1996 manual & couldn't get to the 1995 - can you locate that, or is it not there? If you can locate it, can you send back the url address? I'm book marking these pages so I can always go right to them while researching these issues & after. Thank you again for all the information.
1996 should work. 99.9% of the stuff is the same.
Old 10-29-2013, 05:25 PM

Thank you.

Right after I posted the message on 1995, I started thinking about that 1996 would probably largely work too, but wasn't totally sure. So, thank you for the note. It has good diagrams also I noticed.

Quote:
1996 should work. 99.9% of the stuff is the same.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
dying, not accellerating

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.