94 F350 No start after starter replacement - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2013, 08:09 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
94 F350 No start after starter replacement

Okay Guys and gals, I replaced my starter a week ago as my truck was a key on full power but no crank. Starter fixed the no crank issue but here is the issue, in my haste i failed to disconnect the batteries before changing the starter (I know, I know) and when I first stuck a wrench on the positive terminal i arc'd the starter. Now when I got in the truck to fire it up for the first time I had two blown fuses under the hood 22 & 9. I replaced both of those fuses as well as disconnecting the Fuel Bowl Heater ( who needs one of these in Canada anyways right,eh?)

Now when attempting to start my Edge Insight will not power up, i get no WTS light but the Check Engine Light comes on and the Tach bounces. I do not notice any smoke coming out of the tailpipe when cranking. All my fuses are good and I am in the process of checking my fusable links. To me this screams Fried PCM but I'm trying to eliminate all possible options before bending over at the dealer for a new PCM. Other then the issues described above all appears normal, my deck powers up and I get full power to all my lights, aux switches etc. I have a TS 6 pos installed and I have tried removing it from the PCM and still no change.

Where do I go from here Folks? I have access to a good Snap-On scanner but i do not think it is connecting as its telling me to use an adapter that I don't believe I have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2013, 09:47 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Check fuses in the interior fuse box as well. One of them (lighter fuse?) powers the OBD-II connector. If the Edge isn't connecting, the Snap-On probably won't either.

If you get that resolved, try an injector buzz test. Also, try reading ordinary sensor data (EOT, pedal position [work the pedal], intake air temp, etc.). If you get sensor data, but the buzz test fails, my money would be on the IDM.

Was the key in the cylinder when you had the little arcing episode?
Old 10-02-2013, 09:50 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue View Post
Check fuses in the interior fuse box as well. One of them (lighter fuse?) powers the OBD-II connector. If the Edge isn't connecting, the Snap-On probably won't either.

If you get that resolved, try an injector buzz test. Also, try reading ordinary sensor data (EOT, pedal position [work the pedal], intake air temp, etc.). If you get sensor data, but the buzz test fails, my money would be on the IDM.

Was the key in the cylinder when you had the little arcing episode?
I don't recall having the key in.

The OBD II port is getting power as the edge will turn on it is just unable to connect with the PCM
Old 10-02-2013, 12:54 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Would The check engine light illuminate at all if the PCM was not getting a signal? The light comes on and stays on when the key is turned.
Old 10-02-2013, 02:20 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Ah, that's more info than we had before. Well, at the very least the PCM is awake; it's the thing that turns on/off the CE light. It's supposed to come on VERY briefly, like, 1/4 second (blink and you'll miss it), when you turn the key to RUN. If it's staying on, that indicates that the PCM is alive, but there's a problem.

Did you check the interior box fuses?
Old 10-02-2013, 02:29 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Checking my fuses now, The lack of WTS light i assumed was a trigger of a bad PCM but perhaps since the PCM and Glow Plugs share the same fuse thats where the problem lies, also how full should the HPOP be when cranking?

Could the PCM just need a re-flash perhaps?
Old 10-02-2013, 07:13 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

All fuses checked out okay, plugged the snap on reader into the under the hood diagnostic port and it would not connect
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.