Truck dies sometimes - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 10-01-2013, 05:23 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 38
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Truck dies sometimes

'96 F-350 auto, dies sometimes when backing or at stop lights. Runs fine otherwise. Has new IDM, PCM, fuel pump, oil and filter, but did it before all of this. Seems I read that to fix a stall, lightly sand some needle? but can't find a thread. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.
The IPR screen was cleaned and the FPR has new O-rings.

Last edited by injun46; 10-01-2013 at 05:35 AM.
injun46 is offline  
post #2 of 7 Old 10-01-2013, 05:57 AM
Chapter Director

 
Rammstein1224's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Davenport, IA
Posts: 2,949
Thanks: 4
Thanked 46 Times in 38 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by injun46 View Post
'96 F-350 auto, dies sometimes when backing or at stop lights. Runs fine otherwise. Has new IDM, PCM, fuel pump, oil and filter, but did it before all of this. Seems I read that to fix a stall, lightly sand some needle? but can't find a thread. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.
The IPR screen was cleaned and the FPR has new O-rings.
Replace CPS Genuine Ford 7.3L Diesel Cam Position Sensor (CPS) - Blue

Local Jackass member Pat

Battle cry of every 6.0 owner out there
Quote:
Originally Posted by access_max View Post
With the issues fixed a 6.0 can run circles around a 7.3.
2000 F-350 7.3L ZF6
Standard 7.3 mods
SCT tuned
8" Fabtech lift 13" total
5:13 Gears
46" Goodyear MVTs Military takeoffs
Bushwacker Cut-Out Fender Flares
Ranch Hand front and rear bumper
On-board air W/Semi horns

1995 F-350 7.3L E4OD DRW
Standard 7.3 mods
PHP Hydra W/Tony Wildman tunes
160/0 Injectors
T-500 HPOP
E-fuel Conversion
West Coast mirrors
Rammstein1224 is offline  
post #3 of 7 Old 10-01-2013, 08:43 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 38
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thanks Rammstein, never thought of that. Figgered if it ran it couldn't be the CPS. I had a new Ford cps, still in sealed package behind the back seat. Put it in and the stall quit, so far. Seems to run a little better too. It was part # F7TZ-12K073-A, and I think they have an update designated -B. I'll pick another spare up at Ford. Thanks again!
injun46 is offline  
post #4 of 7 Old 10-01-2013, 08:54 AM
Chapter Director

 
Rammstein1224's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Davenport, IA
Posts: 2,949
Thanks: 4
Thanked 46 Times in 38 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by injun46 View Post
Thanks Rammstein, never thought of that. Figgered if it ran it couldn't be the CPS. I had a new Ford cps, still in sealed package behind the back seat. Put it in and the stall quit, so far. Seems to run a little better too. It was part # F7TZ-12K073-A, and I think they have an update designated -B. I'll pick another spare up at Ford. Thanks again!
No problem, but yea the truck can still run because the CPS just becomes intermittent rather than completely dying. But yea thats the ford version thats grey, and the -B one is dark blue, i cant remember what the differences were but i know the blue one is a bit better and the actual international black one is supposed to be the best so if i were you i would get that one instead i think its like 45ish compared to the ford one for 25ish

Local Jackass member Pat

Battle cry of every 6.0 owner out there
Quote:
Originally Posted by access_max View Post
With the issues fixed a 6.0 can run circles around a 7.3.
2000 F-350 7.3L ZF6
Standard 7.3 mods
SCT tuned
8" Fabtech lift 13" total
5:13 Gears
46" Goodyear MVTs Military takeoffs
Bushwacker Cut-Out Fender Flares
Ranch Hand front and rear bumper
On-board air W/Semi horns

1995 F-350 7.3L E4OD DRW
Standard 7.3 mods
PHP Hydra W/Tony Wildman tunes
160/0 Injectors
T-500 HPOP
E-fuel Conversion
West Coast mirrors
Rammstein1224 is offline  
post #5 of 7 Old 10-01-2013, 09:28 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 38
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Will do, thanks a bunch!
injun46 is offline  
post #6 of 7 Old 10-01-2013, 11:19 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 3,887
Thanks: 4
Thanked 129 Times in 125 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Does it die in Neutral at stop lights, or only in Drive? How's the tranny fluid level and how old is the fluid?
madpogue is offline  
post #7 of 7 Old 10-01-2013, 11:56 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 38
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
It did it when in drive/reverse. Fluid change was recent, and full. The new CPS seemed to fix the problem. Thanks for the reply.
injun46 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome