E-Fuel Conversion, Fuel Pressure Drops - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2013, 05:53 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
E-Fuel Conversion, Fuel Pressure Drops

So, I spent the weekend converting my 7.3 to electronic fuel using mostly 2001 parts. I pretty much used this thread as my guide Electric Fuel on OBS Trucks

Now, when I turn the key to the on Position it holds constant pressure at 70 PSI, but as soon as I actually start the motor you can watch the fuel pressure gauge just start dropping until it hits zero. The truck stays running though and doesn't seem to idle any different.

Any ideas on where to start? I'm lost. There are no leaks, I've checked every fitting from the tank to the regulator.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2013, 07:27 AM
Rangers Lead The Way!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
First thing I would do is try a different gauge
Old 09-30-2013, 07:35 AM

It seems change as when I update the regulator when the key is in the on position but without the motor running. It's only when I start the motor. The gauge doesn't change if it stays on with the motor off.

I do have another gauge though, so I'll swap those just to be sure.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:13 AM

Could this just be a ton of air in the lines? If so, how long would that take to work through? I know all the lines were completely drained by the time all the new stuff was hooked up.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:20 AM
Chapter Director

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneBadV8 View Post
Could this just be a ton of air in the lines? If so, how long would that take to work through? I know all the lines were completely drained by the time all the new stuff was hooked up.
Not likely if you just leave the key on engine off it will clear 99% of the air out itself. And plus the truck wont even start if there is any significant amount of air in the lines.

Like kanuck15 said try a new gauge first before anything else but still seems like a strange occurrence for a bad gauge. How do you have the fuel pump wired up?
Old 09-30-2013, 09:22 AM

Fuel pump is wired the same way that mjonesjr wired it up.

Old 09-30-2013, 09:38 AM
Chapter Director

Ok that seems alright.

Have you actually drove the truck with the gauge reading 0 psi or are you just watching it at idle? Honestly if the truck is running just fine but yet still reading 0 psi then it has to be the gauge itself strangely.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:49 AM

Not yet, its just been idling. I didn't want to take it out and possibly get stranded because of it. I do have a second gauge I just assumed it was a good reading since it adjusts with the regulator and gives good readings while just having the key on.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:55 AM
Chapter Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneBadV8 View Post
Not yet, its just been idling. I didn't want to take it out and possibly get stranded because of it. I do have a second gauge I just assumed it was a good reading since it adjusts with the regulator and gives good readings while just having the key on.
Yea i understand, just seems strange it runs just fine. Try revving it up at idle and see if it kinda chokes for fuel. The only explanation i can think of is if the fuel pump is just strong enough to pressurize the fuel system but as soon as the injectors start sucking the fuel it drops its down to an unmeasurable pressure?
Old 09-30-2013, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammstein1224 View Post
Yea i understand, just seems strange it runs just fine. Try revving it up at idle and see if it kinda chokes for fuel. The only explanation i can think of is if the fuel pump is just strong enough to pressurize the fuel system but as soon as the injectors start sucking the fuel it drops its down to an unmeasurable pressure?
And that's possible too. I'll look into giving it gas and seeing if it chokes or not this evening.

The Fuel Pump was out of an '01 E350 van. That's probably the only part that wasn't bought new, but I can always get a new pump if I have to. Trying to exhaust any other options first though.

Thanks for the suggestions so far!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.