7.3 no power - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2013, 01:37 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
7.3 no power

My 7.3 ran out of power over about a 2 mile stretch. Had been running fine. Although running it was really rough and acceleration was slow to non existent. Nursed it home about 23 miles, off the mountain, and was able to get home but had to use 4 wheel low to pull into my driveway - which is a regular driveway. Idle was about 630 rpm but truck shook. Tried to drive up rpm and eventually got to 2500 rpm complete with popping sounds from engine. Had been burning white upon startup and thought perhaps injector orings needed changing and orings had maybe caused problem. I unplugged the 4 leads into valve covers one by one. Right side front showed no difference to idle when unplugged. Dissassembled and had burnt lead. Changed gasket - no change in running of engine. Then changed all orings (and glow plugs cause I was in there). Finally got cranked up and truck ran as rough as before I started. ALso changed CPS. One good thing - no smoke upon startup. Tried to bring rpm up but a real struggle. Around 2900 a lot of popping sounds, again. I did get a full tank of fuel before this started and wonder if bad fuel could cause this? It's hunting season, the horses need exercise and my mind a rest! Any ideas out there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2013, 06:00 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Everything look ordinary with the rockers/pushrods? Check your fuel pressure and always check the oil level. Cheers!
Old 09-16-2013, 11:45 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for reply. pushrods rockers normal. Had it out for a drive after I changed o rings and glow plugs yesterday - thought I would clear llines of any trapped air - may have done that - but no still no power. This morning I started the darn thing and disconnected the 2 leads into VC on drivers side. No change in engine at all - so left bank not working. Disconnected right side, one at a time, and major change with each disconnect. So... one bank is working and the other not. Checked leads from IDM and could not find any bare wires. Did not check fuel pressure (don't know how to) but oil is right up. Would low fuel pressure cause one bank to fire and the other not to?
Old 09-16-2013, 07:34 PM

You could have a bad IDM (know anybody that you can borrow one from to test?) if the entire bank is not working. You can always use a meter to make sure there is no continuity between the outermost pins (pin #1 and #5) and the middle 3 (pins #2,#3, and #4) on each driver's side VC connection. Cheers!
Old 09-17-2013, 09:19 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have access to an IDM - BUT - will an IDM from an automatic work with a standard?? And what years were the IDM good for as my 7.3 is a 96?
Old 09-17-2013, 09:43 AM

They're all interchangeable from '94.5 to '03.
Old 09-18-2013, 12:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks Patrick and Madpogue. Found an IDM on a wrecked 96. Tried it and both banks now work. Hvae to wrangle price deal now. However, there is a lot of snapping and popping when rmps go from 1800 to about 2500. MIsfire, backfire??? Noise comes from engine and not from tailpipe. I drove it about 15 miles yesterday to try and get air out of lines (since I was in there and replaced o rings) - was still popping and snapping when I got home and today when I fired it p again. Any thoughts? Noise was happening with the old IDM also and only began after I replaced o rings and glow plugs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.