Block heater - Page 2 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2007, 03:40 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
After being plugged up for several hours the temp gauge will usually read all the way cold or just slightly above but the heat will blow lukewarm and come up to temp much quicker when first started. You can also check the plug with an ohm meter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2007, 06:18 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by racknabout View Post
Would one of you fine folks mind explaining to me how the block heater works and what the likelihood is that my 96 Powerstroke's block heater still works?

A block heater is an element that is mounted in place of one of your freeze plugs. This puts the element in your engine coolant so that it can warm the coolant and by doing that warm the engne block. Most suggest you place the block heater in the freeze plug hole as close to the oil filter as possible or in a location were the water passage is close to an oil passage. This way it also heats the oil a little.

When my block heater went out in my truck it would trip my GFI wall plug as soon as I plugged it in. Also depending on the climate where you live you might not notice any warm air upon start up. On older trucks, where you had better clearance, you could climb under the truck and follow the cord to the heater and touch it to see if it is warm. Not sure about the PSD, I've never looked for it.
Old 12-08-2007, 07:45 PM

My extension for the block heater is on the same circuit as our Christmas lights. When I plug it in I can see the lights dim just a little. Sort of a quick and dirty check that it's working. If you put a trouble light on the same circuit you might see a change that will indicate another power drain on that circuit.
Old 12-18-2007, 10:25 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Hi all you Powerstroke owners,
I bought a 2000 F250 7.3 diesel this past year for pulling a camper but I use it for more than just that. This is my first experience with a diesel truck but I'm learning fast. I already had to replace the CPS which I just noticed Ford recalled because they are faulty. Anyway, my question is this...I noticed that my engine block power cord was severed and taped. It has no male end to plug in. Can I simply buy any male end 3 prong plus and connect the wires. I should have noticed this before but I took ownership late last winter and never really needed it. DO ALL Ford Diesels come with this? There isn't a particular reason that the cord was cut and taped is there? Thanks - Tom
Old 01-22-2008, 09:11 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

tf,
It is all together possible that the previous owner pulled a bone head move like me and drove over the extension cord while it was still plugged in. I replaced mine with an outdoor male cord end from the local hardware store and it seems to be working just fine.
Thanks, Russ
Old 01-22-2008, 12:58 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks Russ..

Thats what I thought happened too. I did purchase a male plug and installed it. The interesting thing I ran into when installing it is that once I stripped the wire I couldn't tell much difference in color. I was expecting a while and black wire but this outdoor wire jactket just had 2 wires + ground that appeared to be the same color. I took a guess and connected them to the plug. Now I need a good test to see if everything is working properly. I didn't hear much when I plugged it in. What is the best test?
Thanks - Tom
Old 01-22-2008, 03:01 PM
Powerstroke Techie

It don't matter about the white and black, the heater will work the same either way. Best test is to leave it plugged in one cold night and see if it starts and idles better than the day before.
Old 01-26-2008, 11:15 PM
Shaking the Bush Boss

I would recomend doing the morinco mod or something similar, to keep from tugging on the cord or driving off with it plugged in.

I mounted mine in the grille.
This is my version of the morenco mod. I used a preheater recptical, and new block heater cord for a 'big truck'....Freightliner
Old 01-28-2008, 05:48 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Chuck,
I went looking for information on that plug receptacle and was unsuccessful. Could you tell me where you got it?
Thanks,
Russ
Old 01-28-2008, 05:53 AM
Shaking the Bush Boss

I ordered one from where I work....you can check with a boat dealer, bass pro shop, or maybe gander mountian...look for a weather proof receptacle. marineco I think is the name brand.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.