1995 psd cant start need advice - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2013, 06:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
1995 psd cant start need advice

Ok I'm new here as a member, always look here for info but I need help badly, I recently acquired a '95 PSD from a friend for $500 its a darn nice pickup but it doesn't run. He replaced the IDM, CPS, valve cover gaskets, the UVCH on both sides, Fuel pump and still no start.

Now I got it and tried another used IDM just for the heck of it and still nothing. I'm getting fuel, keep checking the Res on HPOP and if I fill it to the top and crank it over it does drop to about an inch from the top but no lower no matter how long or much I crank on it. I was thinking about the oil res level so I removed the IPR and cleaned it as nothing would move while shaking it and as I figured it was clogged so I reinstalled it and still nothing. I checked the ICP sensor and there is oil in the plug so I realize its going out but if I unplug it, it should default the computer to 600psi and if it were the problem and unplugged it will start correct? (Only mine didn't.) While cranking it over I used a multimeter tapped into the wiring harness to measure ICP and .38 Volts is max I could get. There are NO blown fuses, CEL comes on for just a little bit before you crank as all of mine have but will not stay on. Does have anti-theft but unplugged it and still no start.

Can it be a bad HPOP?? I do get LPOP oil pressure reading on the dash gauge and tach movement/WTS light so PCM seems to be good so what are your thoughts!

Last edited by DI3S3L86; 09-05-2013 at 06:28 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2013, 07:57 AM

Have you put a scanner on it? Mine was doing the same, took it to a diesel shop and they say the PCM is bad. He's trying to find one today. Good luck.
Old 09-06-2013, 08:35 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

No I haven't put it on a scanner yet, FORD is the only shop here Ive found that has the correct plug in. Mine doesn't have OBDII its the earlier model tiny square plug. Of course they charge like its gold, 1 hour labor charge and appointment. But I have a friend that might just Have a spare PCM so Ill give that a try before I give in to FORD shop prices. Thanks
Old 09-06-2013, 12:18 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

OK well it is an OBDII port, it was unscrewed and pushed up but I
found it and hooked up to it and there are no codes but it would randomly "loose link to computer" there was no movement at all I plugged it in KOEO and stepped back it kept doing this so is it a bad PCM? I got a little pissed to say the least and just cranked on it and about 15 seconds in I got one or two cylinders to fire but then no more?? Does this make any sense? Taking that long to fire makes me think HPOP but the loosing connection deal makes sense of a computer. I'm just talking out loud to help give ideas.
Old 09-06-2013, 03:57 PM

The 95 models have an OBDII type plug but the PCM is not OBDII compliant so it can't be read with a normal scanner. Also, on some earlier models the OBDII plug was installed but not enabled. Only a dealer reflash can fix that.

ICP must be 500 PSI or 1 volt min for the PCM to enable the injectors, so the HPO system is suspect with only .38 volts ICP. Sometimes the solenoid on the IPR will fail as well, so it could be that. You need HPO and LPO pressures to diagnose further, BTW the oil gauge is an idiot gauge, indicated normal at 16 PSI-I think-, so don't trust it. And make sure the anti theft is completely removed, seems like if simply unplugging will completely disable it, it's not much of an anti-theft.

If the CPS is aftermarket go get a dark blue from Ford, my aftermarket was dead out of the box and through no codes. And change the oil, including HPOP reservior, if it has been sitting for a while.

Joe
Old 09-06-2013, 08:54 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks Joe for the tips, I was able to get ahold of a Snap-on Solus ultra scanner I ran it as a 97 PSD and it worked showing me every little value and the ICP was toast so I replaced it. With the new ICP I got HPOP pressure, if I floored it while cranking the value from ICP would go all the way to 3300psi so now that's out of the equation, but I cranked forever and finally after 20ish seconds I got a few cylinders to fire then nothing else. The guy that loaned the tool said maybe there's blown fusible links in the harness or a bad PCM he feels that the PCM SHOULD be ok he said to try a spare one because he had on give him all these same problems and it was due to the computer failing slowly but Ill check for corrosion tomorrow. He also said that I might have a fuel pressure problem and that there might be screen that's plugged in the fuel bowl? And I realize these gauges are true idiot lights I have/had 5 different Fords in 4 years so I know how the gauges are, this is the only one still using all factory ones. So other than those steps I've already mentioned, what do you gents suggest?
Old 09-07-2013, 02:54 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well took all wiring connections loose and on main connection for the engine harness there was tons of white grease looking stuff, is this normal or do I need to remove it. When I first seen it all I could think of was dialectrical grease is this right?

I got a fuel pressure guage so at the shrader valve is where I should read this correct? I talked to one of the techs at ford and he mentioned measuring delivery and return pressure but I'm not sure of how to...is the schrader valve a good enough measurement? also what PSI should I see at cranking speed?
Thanks, Jake
Old 09-07-2013, 06:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well got an ICP on order since the one I tested with wasn't mine but I went ahead and cleaned all connections and those going to computers and the one to the PCM had the white grease and a mass amount of green corrosion build up on all the prongs same with the two large connections to the firewall so hopefully when the ICP comes in Ill have this thing running.
Old 09-09-2013, 06:00 AM
Premium Member

Hey, JFWatson, you said you got a bad CPS out of the box from a local parts store? Im having similar problems with my truck it threw a code for CPS I replaced it, still no start and no CEL. Its got a new HPOP.IPR,ICP,Fuel pump,computer a good IDM and new valve cover gaskets, with internal harness update. All the VC connection Ohm out fine.

Last edited by RushFORD; 09-09-2013 at 06:06 AM.
Old 09-09-2013, 10:16 PM

Yeah, that sounds like dielectric grease, test fuel pressure on the schrader valve, and clean the FPR screen also(plenty of write-ups in search). Since this truck hasnt ran in a while is the fuel fresh? Also, can you perform a buzz test with that scanner? If not, remove the valve covers and while you are cranking watch for HPO being exhausted from the injectors. Amounts should be equal, these test will confirm you are getting fuel and the PCM, IDM, and injectors are talking.

I just got an AE myself and am new to the computer/scanner world, but i believe that if you can check fuel pulse width it should be 1-6 ms in order to fire injectors and .45 ms while cranking and waiting for ICP to reach 500 psi, just something free to check on your PCM, someone tell me if im wrong.

Rushford,
Did you put all those new parts on after the issue started or before?
My truck died on the way to work, started back AFTER i had it towed, I put a BWD CPS in later that day and no start, old black Ford back in no start, new dark blue ford in and runs great. It threw an intermittant CPS code when it broke down the first time (most likely from excessive cranking/cussing) but not when I put the BWD in; and no CEL. Also, I had tach movement throughout this ordeal. The moral of this story is "anything short of a flat tire... change the CPS!" LOL

P.S. Fuel pressure should be 20 psi or greater cranking at the schrader, and it will be fluctuating somewhat due to the mech fuel pump. And i believe the delivery pressure that guy is speaking of is the suction from the tank, takes a gauge able to read in.Hg vac on the suction of the fuel pump to measure that.

Last edited by jfwatson; 09-09-2013 at 10:23 PM. Reason: I forgot something!! Duh!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.