Cuts off when at idle/major oil leak - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2013, 11:56 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Cuts off when at idle/major oil leak

Just picked up a '96 F350 standard cab 5sp 4x4 flat bed (love this truck) got it for a song to boot!! 246K and counting. Funny thing happens when you first start it up. It will idle fine for 5 minutes or so then either dies or starts the run-sputter-run-sputter then die drama. If I start it up again it usually runs fine the rest of the day. If I don't let it warm up (and let it go through its drama) and just start it and go, it will do the sputter-run-sputter-run thing while I'm driving. Sometimes it will die, sometimes I'm able to keep it going. Not sure what's going on here? Any ideas? Also sprung a very heavy oil leak on a recent trip from colorado to texas. LOTS of oil in the valley. Pretty much did an entire oil change on the trip there and back!! HPOP seals/o-rings? I do have one bad injector and will be replacing the glow plugs at the same time as I do the injector. Last owner (colorado rancher) was hard on it. Also noticed that this was a remanufactured engine from for in 99 I think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2013, 04:55 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

OK! So I finally got around to doing a few things. I found ALL of my glow plugs to be bad, so I replaced all of them...Now my brand new GPR is bad or at least I think it is. Is it possible to wire it backwards? When I first installed it (with the bad plugs) It seemed to be operating correctly, i.e. 12V on the hot side 0V on the GP side until you turned on the ignition then 12 V on the GP side. Now with new plugs and ignition in the on position, I get 12V on hot side and 0V on GP side. Good thing I got the warranty on it. I'm going to exchange it today.
I replaced the passanger side injector closest to the firewall because it seemed dead when I tested it while running (no change in engine noise when I unplugged it). Pulled the HPOP and replaced ALL the O-Rings, new VCG's, new fuel filter assy and fuel filter, K&N cold air intake.
Got it all put back together late last night and it still seems to miss???
May I have a wiring issue, like a broken wire somewhere?
What kind of voltage or signal am I looking for from the wiring harnes to the injectors?
Also, is there supposed to be a gasket for the breather assy. on the drivers side valve cover? LOTS of smoke coming from there!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 09-18-2013, 04:59 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Oh, and I seem to have fixed my oil leak! That's good news. Ran the truck for 20 minutes and it didn't cut off or do it's drama thing either....hopefully I fixed that too!

Last edited by TexasRanchStrokin; 09-18-2013 at 05:46 AM.
Old 10-16-2013, 06:48 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Fixed the drama thing too! Simple CPS change did the trick! DO NOT GET THE CPS from NAPA!!! I got two and both were P.O.S!! Got the one from ford and it works correctly. Now on to the next project...Changing the steering wheel to add cruise control!!
Old 10-16-2013, 08:02 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Glad you seem to have figured it out. Don't know how I missed seeing your other posts. Cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.