97 7.3L sudden power loss and stall!!! HELP!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2013, 09:34 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
97 7.3L sudden power loss and stall!!! HELP!!

Hey everyone getting to know more about my truck due to lack of maintenance of prior owner it will randomly lose a severe amount of power sounds like **** and eventually stalls. like today i was humming along at 70 in 5th and the idle changed and rpms and speed steadily decreased so i down shifted and ran it at 55 running it back to 3k rpms and yet again kept it up till 2nd gear and then she stalled so i managed to coast home lol any ideas ive been pulling here apart all day and im to the point that idk my head from my arse
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2013, 09:51 PM
Premium Member

Had some issues with a 96 PSD auto running rough then would run great, rough again, on an on 'til one day it just wouldn't crank. Intermittent problems are the hardest to find, especially if there's no check engine light or water in fuel light coming on, or no trouble codes. But mine ended up being the lift pump sticking, leaking and maybe sucking some air along the way. I rebuilt the pump, cleaned the fuel system and replaced the filter, and the '96 was the strongest stock 7.3 I ever had.
Old 08-24-2013, 10:44 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU7POINT3 View Post
Had some issues with a 96 PSD auto running rough then would run great, rough again, on an on 'til one day it just wouldn't crank. Intermittent problems are the hardest to find, especially if there's no check engine light or water in fuel light coming on, or no trouble codes. But mine ended up being the lift pump sticking, leaking and maybe sucking some air along the way. I rebuilt the pump, cleaned the fuel system and replaced the filter, and the '96 was the strongest stock 7.3 I ever had.
okay well i think mine only has an injector pump the mechanical one the POS one! im thinking about going electrical so it will be one less problem down the road i stilll havent found the cause was up till mid night going to town on it and im back at it this morning if i find out what it is i'll post up everything i did so i can possibly help someone else! its more than just run rough it'll just loss power you can slam it to the floor and it still drops to a stall.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.