Help 1997 no start, weird symptoms - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2013, 03:44 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Help 1997 no start, weird symptoms

1997 f350 auto

After three shops not figuring anything out and the ford dealer giving up i have no idea what to do. Symptoms of the truck are driving along the road it would cut out like the key was turned off. Pull off the road and cycle the key and it would start right up. Then it started cutting out and the WTS light would NOT come back on unless you waited for a while. Moving the plugs around at the UVCH sometimes would make the light come back on but have no idea if they are related. Also when we installed the new glowplug relay the shunt smoked a little and became hot to the touch. The truck will now start up and run until it is warm and then cut out the WTS light wont come back on and wont start even when it is back to being cool. At this point it will start once a day warm up and die.

So far we have replace the CPS with a new motorcraft unit (dark gray with purple o ring), installed idm out of a running truck, new glowplug relay, unplugged the fuel bowl heater, fuse 22 is good (checked with meter). when the WTS light is on we were able to do a buzz test and all injectors checked out. Also when the truck does run it does not miss or hesitate.

codes that have come up are

P1663
P1663
P0380
P0605 There is NO chip on the truck, factory dust cover is still intact

When the WTS light comes on everything goes away except for P0605

Any help would be great thanks

Last edited by cr250rgio; 08-22-2013 at 04:10 PM. Reason: more info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2013, 05:39 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Welcome to the forum!

Since you mention a shunt for the GPR, am I correct in assuming you have a California 97 truck? You should also have a black disk-shaped part (pulse damper) on the back of the fuel pump if you do. Anyway, I would probably check the wiring from the Underhood Fusebox, fuse #17 to the ignition switch and from the ignition switch through UH fuse #22 to the GPR, PCM, and fuel heater. There's not much testing for the P0605 (PCM-ROM failure ... not to be confused with the P0603 Keep Alive Memory code which is usually associated with a chip or tuner). Basically with all codes cleared, you would rerun the scan tool test and if the code returns you replace the PCM and retest.

If you do have a Cali 97, I hope it's not the PCM as they are extremely hard to find (DPC-312 PCM with a MME_ code). If you absolutely can't locate one, there are some workarounds that can be done to get you going (other threads on that). Cheers!
Old 08-22-2013, 06:02 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the reply

Yes this is a CA truck and it does have the dampener disk. I have cleared the codes multiple times and that is the one that keeps popping up. However this code has been on the truck since i have bought it about 2 months ago and it has run fine with no problems. All the fuses have power and you can hear PCM relay click. The IDM relay does not click when the WTS light doesn't come on though. It will click when the WTS light comes on. My question on this is what would cause the WTS light not to come on or is it solely turned on by the PCM. Also if the PCM is going bad wouldnt my scanner not be able to communicate with it ?

again thanks for getting back to me
Old 08-22-2013, 09:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The tech at ford just got a hold of me and says that he thinks that its the PCM thats fried since it keeps coming up with P0605, i just think its weird that the truck ran so long with the code on it.
Whats happening now is there is NO WTS light and the idm isnt powering up. The truck will crank and the tach moves along with the oil pressure. The GPR is even clicking to turn on the glow plugs. The only thing that isnt getting power from the pcm is the idm. The idm relay is not making any clicks either when the key is turned.
Old 08-23-2013, 12:41 PM

Have you tried swapping relays around? One will be for the PCM , one for the IDM and the other for the (horn?). Of course, Ford makes it sound simple with the "replace PCM and retest" statement. Even Ford doesn't have the DPC-312 PCMs available. Know anyone else with a Cali 97? Cheers!
Old 08-23-2013, 04:30 PM

Since you asked an another forum as well, I'll post my response to options for you on finding a DPC-312 with an MME_ code:

Good luck (I could be in the same boat someday). The options if you cannot find one:

Have yours repaired (you can try someplace like AutoModuleSource). A friend of mine was able to have his repaired by them. Not cheap by any means.

Switch to single-shot injectors (upgrade to Stage I's?) and use a DPC-202 PCM and the PCM connector re-pinned to match.

Keep the split-shot injectors and use a DPC-202 PCM with a MIF7 (latest ... or other MIF_ code, Cali 96 codes for splits) and PCM connector re-pinned to match.

We can point in the last two directions if needed. Cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.