96 HPOP leak... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2013, 05:01 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
96 HPOP leak...

Ok so I just picked up my 7.3 and vally was full of oil. After cleaning it out I was able to determine that the oil is dripping off the bottom of the HPOP, Im not sure if it is the Non servicable plug or the Flange Gasket. Im leaning toward the flange gasket becasue i put a paper towel wraped around a piece of wire under the HPOP and it seems to be getting fresh wet oil under the HPOP but not under the plug. If the plug was leaking do they usually leak bad/fast?

I am going to be dissasembling the Truck today to get the HPOP off. I ordered an O ring kit ---> 7 3 Powerstroke Complete Hpop Repair KIT W Long Thread | eBay

And a new flange gasket ----> Ford 7 3L Powerstroke Hpop High Pressure OIL Pump Injector Pump Mounting Gasket | eBay

Is there anything I should know befor digging into this?

Is there a write up on how to do this the best / easiest way?

Im new to diesels but I am very mechanically inclined. Excuse my grammer, it is not one of my strong points...

Thanks for the help guys.

P.S. please help me so I can get this thing fixed for labor day weekend, I need to tow this --->
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2013, 06:50 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Dieselorings.com has good instructions on how to do it. Not really that hard, just time consuming and aggravating.

Get a couple cans on brake or carb cleaner.

From my experience when the plug goes it goes with a lot of oil. Not just a little drip.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 08-21-2013, 07:11 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok cool, yea it seemed to drip durring the high idle setting on the programmer. It could get worst while driving. I figure im going to replace the non servicable oil plug anyway becasue its going to be out and i only feel like doing it one time. Considering it has 245,000 on the block i hope that if this pump was removed befor the mechanic didnt strip any of the small bolts...
Old 08-21-2013, 07:18 AM

I did the same when my plug started leaking. Resealed the whole top of the motor. Hpop, oil lines, turbo, fuel bowl, gutted ebpv, etc.

You gotta take it all apart anyway, why not knock it out at once.

Old 08-21-2013, 08:17 AM

Use a pump to empty the reservoir as much as you can before removing the HPOP. I saw a thread where someone actually used the pump from a hand lotion bottle. Whatever works!
Old 08-21-2013, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcturus View Post
Use a pump to empty the reservoir as much as you can before removing the HPOP. I saw a thread where someone actually used the pump from a hand lotion bottle. Whatever works!
Not a necessity but definitely keeps things a lot cleaner. Keeps you from draining a quart of oil down the back of the block.

Old 08-22-2013, 02:19 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Should I put a light coat of oil on the new hpop gasket before installing the pump?
Old 08-23-2013, 04:47 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

OK so after cleaning the pump up really well. I was inpecting the mating sufaces from the pump to engine. On the pump there seems to be a few tiny (a few thousanths deep) marcs in the mating surface where the gaskets rubber ring sits. Should i put very tiny dabs of permatex in these little spots to fill them up? Permatex is rated for 10,000 PSI when applied between 2 clamped surfaces... I do not want a leak but at the same time I do not want to cause myself more issues...
Old 08-24-2013, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooch450 View Post
OK so after cleaning the pump up really well. I was inpecting the mating sufaces from the pump to engine. On the pump there seems to be a few tiny (a few thousanths deep) marcs in the mating surface where the gaskets rubber ring sits. Should i put very tiny dabs of permatex in these little spots to fill them up? Permatex is rated for 10,000 PSI when applied between 2 clamped surfaces... I do not want a leak but at the same time I do not want to cause myself more issues...
I don't think it could hurt as long as you don't over do it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.