re: cooling system, heater, thermostat problem... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2013, 01:14 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
re: cooling system, heater, thermostat problem...

Aloha Folks-

a few days ago, I heard what sounds like "air" leaking out of a tire coming from the dash board area, behind the air/heater controls.

I noticed my coolant was low and did add some in but it needed only about 1/2 gallon of coolant and distilled water. Mind you, I have not drained and filled my system for 3+ years so I not think that is a large amount and I have not driven it as heavily over this time period as well.

When I opened up my hood, I could hear that "air-fizzing-sound" and seemed to be coming from the 2 smaller rubber hoses that come into the cabin bringing coolant to my heater core.

I went back to look at what I have done in regard to my cooling system and it has been about 4yrs since I changed the upper and lower radiator hoses with clamps, I also added in a Tymar by-pass coolant filter. At that time I redid the smaller rubber hoses when I installed the Tymar filter as well as to replace the thermostat (with a new stock one from Ford) and thermostat housing. I zipped-tied the smaller coolant hoses along with a bundle of electrical wiring to clean up the area and wonder if I should not have done that.

In addition to this "air sound" that I hear during the truck being on and then happening a short while after the truck is turned off. I also notice that it takes longer for my truck to warm up and before the needle would be right in the middle of the word "Normal," now it only gets to about the "N."

Could I have a thermostat that is not responding, staying open? Should I replace the thermostat (and housing)? What is the small sensor next to the thermostat housing?

The other thing is, I have not replaced the Tymar filter in over a year, I am not sure if that could be doing anything. I wonder if I should just take the Tymar by-pass coolant filter out and put everything back to stock?

How often do you change out your rubber hoses (large and small), thermostat (and housing)?

I am a little concerned about driving around but it has been running just fine and since topping off the degas bottle, I have not seen any leaks so I hope my gauge on the dash is correct in telling me that my system is running a little cool at the moment. But that "leaky air sound," is puzzling.

Look forward to any and all of your advice.

Mahalo

ps: my truck is a 1996 F250 that is mostly stock but has the Tymar Air Intake, down-pipe and exhaust, along with the Tymar by-pass coolant filter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2013, 07:15 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

The "air" noise you're hearing is most likely vacuum. Our HVAC controls are operated by vacuum, thanks to Ford's predilection for holding on to Cold-War-era technology. Most likely there's a break in one of the vacuum lines (many of them are semi-hard plastic, and get brittle at about this age), or a loose connection at a vacuum fitting somewhere.

The low coolant temp is probably a separate issue. The most likely cause of that is a thermostat that's stuck open.
Old 08-21-2013, 07:49 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Aloha Madpogue-
Thank you for your insite, as to our HVAC systems and what I need to look for. My friend at Ford said, it is a matter of locating the leak in the cabin (I guess there could be some vacuum hoses in the engine compartment too. He said to find the leak, then cut that section out and slip over it rubber hosing and it should be fine.

I also ordered a new t-stat and housing so I can deal with that too. Thanks again.
Mahalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue View Post
The "air" noise you're hearing is most likely vacuum. Our HVAC controls are operated by vacuum, thanks to Ford's predilection for holding on to Cold-War-era technology. Most likely there's a break in one of the vacuum lines (many of them are semi-hard plastic, and get brittle at about this age), or a loose connection at a vacuum fitting somewhere.

The low coolant temp is probably a separate issue. The most likely cause of that is a thermostat that's stuck open.
Old 10-05-2013, 02:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Aloha Madpogue-

I finally got to changing out my t-stat and housing today. Yesterday I changed out the degas-overflow bottle (my friend at Ford gave me a great price on a new one, so I could get rid of the discolored one that is hard to see the coolant level in).

Now, quick question: Caryt and others have mentioned it is a good thing to use the rtv on the housing. I reinstalled a new stock t-stat housing to go with a new stock t-stat. So, I used the grey colored rtv as well as the anti-seize compound for the threads on the three 8mm bolts. Cary said it is a good thing to let the truck sit over night. So, by tomorrow afternoon it will have been 24hrs. I live on a hill and the truck is parked with the front going uphill. I drained about 3.5gallons worth of coolant-water mixture. Should I fill it up now or just wait til tomorrow?

The other question is, it has been maybe 4yrs since I did anything with the coolant, though it has been driven a lot less over this period and the coolant looks good. Should I first put in just Distilled water and drive it around a little. Then when I get back home, park it going downhill and drop as much of the water-old coolant as possible, then fill it up with new coolant and distilled water. Then say, stop by the market so I can use their level parking spot to see if I need to add in more coolant?

Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Thanks again for all your help.
Mahalo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue View Post

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.