DougH000 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2013, 01:48 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
96 7.3L Randomly won't start and misfires

For the last month I have been having issues. It started with the truck dying every 30-45 seconds on my wife. Once she got it home, I ran a scan tool on it, found a bad CPS, which I replaced. However, that did not solve the problem. 14 out of 15 times, the truck runs just fine. Out of the remaining times, it cuts out (misfires) for my 15 minute drive to work and about once a week, it just won't start. Most of the time it runs perfectly fine once the scan tool is hooked up and monitoring it. Today, I was able to get some preliminary readings before it decided to run normally. I was getting (wjhile cranking) a fuelpw signal of 0.000, ICP reading of 0, the IPRDC was 54%. And when I went to check the VPWR and the RPM readings, the truck started just fine, with all readings returning to normal.

The truck is a 1996 F-350, 2wd, auto, and 274k miles. The EBP has been gutted and the exhaust has been replaced with a down pipe back system, other than that, it has no mods. Recently (within the last 18 months), I have replaced the IPR (remanufactured, and it would stick once the truck fully warmed up), the fuel lift pump (it was leaking), the IDM (it failed, and I replaced it with one from a junk yard), the CPS (as mentioned above, I had a trouble code for that one), and the ICP sensor, as it was leaking oil through it. I have changed the HPOP oil this week just to make sure that wasn't the problem (it had been 8,000 miles since the last change, I change it every 10k), and the oil was changed a hair under 3k miles ago.

Most of the time that it is giving me an issue, it is late in the afternoon and hot (+95*). So it isn't an issue with the glow plug system. There is no sign of a high pressure oil leak, either internally or externally.

This truck is starting to frustrate me, mostly because I can't find the problem. Does anyone have any ideas to help me fix this or at least find my problem?

Last edited by DougH000; 08-19-2013 at 01:57 PM. Reason: Wrong subject title
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2013, 08:12 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Maybe take a good hard look at some of the connectors on the sensors/other such as the ICP, CPS, and IPR. Is the EBP sensor still installed? Also maybe disconnect he fuel heater (if not already) as it can cause problems without blowing the fuse (it will blow the fuse most times, but guys have reported it not doing it). Cheers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.