Fuel pressure builds up only after minutes of crancking... never start. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2013, 03:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Fuel pressure builds up only after minutes of crancking... never start.

1995 F-250 7.3l Auto 4x4 Heavy Duty with (I believe)
The truck is in good shape, rarely used for work, mostly grocery getter.

I started using it and ran ok for the first month. Then it started doing very short (1/4 second) misses, usually at highway speed. Then the misses became complete engine shutdowns for 1 or 2 seconds. Then the engine would start again. It would be very random. Finally, it would stop running 100%. I would wait a few seconds, or a minute, and start again. (Nice description of a CPS failure... right?)

Parts are very difficult to find here.. so I ordered a CPS sensor, but kept using the truck, taking the risk. But the next few failures where a little different, the engine would still run but loose power, misfire, then run ok again for a a few more miles. It did that about 3 times, until the power did not come back, but it ran enough to get me home.

I shat down the engine and it never started again. Eventually the CPS arrived and I was hoping that was going to be the end of my troubles. Changed it. No start.

I started to suspect fuel starvation. I brought down the aft tank, opened the sender, inspected lines, blew air through both pick up and return lines, checked tank selector valve, blew air on all lines again... all clear. I emptied the fuel filter bowl, checked all lines, blew air. Clear. Installed all again.

So next, with the filter bowl empty, I checked pressure at the shrader valve, and at the same time checked if bowl is loaded with diesel. Pressure barely reached 3 psi and fuel was coming up very slowly. I imagined I had a bad fuel pump (original mechanical pump on this one). I was very lucky and found a new pump in my dad's garage. Changed the pump. Cranked and pressure started to come up very slowly. Opened the filter bowl, filled it up with diesel, closed and cranked again. Pressure started to climb and continued to climb very slowly up to 35-40 psi. By the time I got there I was running out of battery. Engine did not even once showed signs of firing. After cranking fuel pressure will not come down. After 45 minutes the pressure was still at about 30 or 25 psi. Is this normal? Does the fuel system remain pressurized?

Of course I suspected Fuel Pressure Regulator bad. Opened every hole on it but could not find anything wrong, other than a plugged screen, that was cleaned in minutes. The rest of the FPR looks ok, but don't have data about ho to check if it is actually working ok.

This is all I have...don't know what to do next. Suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2013, 07:10 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Where are you located that parts are hard to get? Does the CEL come on? Does the Wait-to-Start light come on? make sure all underhood fuses are good. Make sure oil level is good in both oil pan and High Pressure Oil Pump (HPOP) reservoir. Cheers!
Old 08-17-2013, 08:04 AM

Sounds a lot like when my IDM went bad. Pull a valve cover and have someone crank it over. Look to see if any oil is coming out of the injector ports. If not, and you have good oil pressure, possibly the IDM is bad.
Old 08-29-2013, 04:17 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Feeley View Post
Where are you located that parts are hard to get? Does the CEL come on? Does the Wait-to-Start light come on? make sure all underhood fuses are good. Make sure oil level is good in both oil pan and High Pressure Oil Pump (HPOP) reservoir. Cheers!
Parts VERY difficult to get.
CEL light flashes during start, then off.
Fuses all good.
Oil both HPOP and engine are good.

What can prevent fuel pressure to build up in fuel filter bowl?

Thanks,
JC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.