Dead miss on cyl 2 and 4 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2013, 06:27 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Dead miss on cyl 2 and 4

96 f250 no chips or major mods. 430,xxx miles

Dropping off a customer 3 miles from work on my way back, it felt like the truck was lacking power, but nothing terrible. Then it started missing slowly until it was a dead miss. Got it back to the shop (run a service shop, been working on cars for 15 yrs), let the truck idle outside (figured it wasn't going to restart nicely) for about 45 seconds before it shut down. Had the IDM failure code. Got an IDM from the parts house, extreme hard start, still missing, no change. Pulled v/c's off, wires all burned up. Replaced with the kit to repair all the pigtail harnesses and such, finished up, same thing. Very very hard start. Runs like crap. Managed to warm it up enough to get the EOT sensor warm to do a cyl contribution test with the scanner. Cyl 2 and 4 no contribution. Shut down, performed injector buzz test. All buzzing equally. Got tired after being at work for 15 hrs and decided to call it quits and make it home. Half a mile later (only live a mile from work) it was losing power big time again. Pinned in 1st granny gear and couldn't make it up the hill. Pulled into the parking lot, it died again.

When cranking it does sound odd, but I can't put my finger on what it is. I have to find a compression tester for it today, but anyone have any other thoughts?

Head gasket? <- this is what my money is on because of the 2 dead holes... but like I said, no compression tester here yet.
Hole in the piston?
Injector even though its buzzing? Why 2 cylinders then?
I didn't notice the typical coolant coming up through the reservoir like head gaskets. I have no coolant loss...

I was suppose to go camping this weekend. As irritating as this is, atleast I wasn't at 10,500 feet when it happened...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2013, 10:50 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I just went through this. Did you solder your pigtail or use butt connectors? The IDM sees an issue and shuts down the whole bank, that's why you have no power! Unplug the front driver side injector connection and see if it will run a little better (like 6 and 8 are still firing). I've tried butt connecting the pigtails in a pinch and it doesn't work. Solder is the only way to go!
Old 08-06-2013, 06:40 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok, update.
Have replaced valve cover harnesses with new soldered pigtails. Double checked all pin out diagrams. Matching fine. Replaced #2 and #4 injectors. Replaced CSP. Replaced IDM. I have not done a compression test yet because I can't seem to find one short of getting it from my snap-on guy. When I can finally get it started, it's a dead miss still. After the injectors, I thought it was getting better for a minute at idle only, only to be wrong. Test drove it, same problem as before. after putting a load on it (up hill from a stop for a mile or so), it looses power dramatically before finally barely staying running. If I keep it pinned, it will keep going maybe firing on 3 cylinders. If I let off, it dies. Very hard restart. All glow plugs are working fine. My fuel bowl is full of good clean fuel. Crankcase has oil, I can't see any water or separation of fuel. Full to the mark, just changed it maybe 500 miles ago. Blows white smoke like a mad man under load.

HELP! This damn this is driving me crazy!
I will be selling this as soon as it's running. Time for a new truck!

Thanks guys
Old 08-07-2013, 08:31 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

SOLVED!
Mechanical Fuel pump was not putting out enough fuel for the 2 dead holes. fuel would run out going up a hill under load.
Old 08-07-2013, 09:25 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Nice! How did you find it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
missfire, no start

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.