97 7.3 blue smoke - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2013, 03:29 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation 97 7.3 blue smoke

Hey there. Im new to the forum, but not so new to the diesel. My obs 7.3 started smoking about 2 years ago, and seems to be getting worse.. started one morning when it was real cold, only a tiny bit. Slowly got worse, so I replaced the glow plugs and relay. Problem fixed for a few weeks.. started smokin a little and slowly got worse. In winter, when plugged in all night, it starts fine, glow plug relay working, and has a little blue tint, with white tint for the first minute. Truck smokes a good bit and slowly gets better as it warms up. Once warm she runs good. If left unplugged.... she starts no problem, jus smokes like a *****. Clean oil all the time, fuel heater is new and works good, always has fresh fuel. My issue is right now.. jus changed to amsoil, and when 55-60 degree in the morning, it starts great, jus smokes blue smoke until warm. Im thinking it needs injectors. Until up to temp you can hear the injectors making a little noise. Could the smoke be o rings or gaskets from the turbo leaking? Any help would be greatly appreciated, because at this point im ready to just put injectors in it. Truck has 145k, intake and 4 in exhaust
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2013, 04:18 AM

Blue smoke is normally burning engine oil. I would suggest checking the DP and compressor housing for oil. It's not uncommon to have a turbo leaking oil.
Old 08-06-2013, 01:18 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Checked it about 2 months ago, and no oil on either side of turbo.. im really thinking injector o rings, because it suddenly got a lot worse when I switched to synthetic. And it smoked blue hard this morning when it started, and slowly cleared up but you could hear the truck running rough if I gave it throttle.. and it was 60 degrees overnight....
Old 08-09-2013, 07:58 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

From my experience with injector o rings going--- if your oring that divides your fuel rail and high pressure oil rail it will put oil into your fuel system making you burn oil, BUT you have 65psi of fuel and what like 3000psi of high pressure oil.. It would dump the oil into fuel n force it all to go in your fuel tank like mine did. Check ur fuel bowl n see if its clear or dark contaminated with oil.

Pull the tube off valve cover driver side that feeds crank case pressure back into air filter take could be putting oil in that way

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 08-09-2013, 11:30 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Could be just O-rings. Your mileage isn't that high for you to really need new sticks. Get a buzz test done, Cylinder Contribution Test done to see what O-ring/injector(s) is causing the symptoms.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
7.3, injectors, smoke

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.