Oil in the valley - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2013, 04:42 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Oil in the valley

Help!

Having the oil-accumulating-in-the-valley problem.
1997 7.3, less than 100K miles.
I had an earlier similar problem that was diesel getting in there, fixed the fuel bowl problem and stopped the fuel leak but there's also oil showing up. That probably explains why it was so hard to figure out if it was oil or fuel, the two mixing together.
Definitely oil this time.
Redid all the HPOP o-rings with parts from Bob the diesel guy, did the bottom plug as well, didn't solve it.
Doesn't leak at idle, doesn't even seem to do it in the driveway when revving it to 3000rpm or more; have to drive it around to get the oil showing up.
It's showing up at the front of the valley under the HPOP so I'm certain it's not the turbo pedestal bolts.
There's nothing obviously leaking but clearly I can only look at it when it's sitting still. Oil vapour gets over the area so running my finger around fittings isn't telling me anything.
I didn't think to do the rear plate seal, nothing obvious leaking there but have ordered that seal today.
Don't really want to drop $200 for new oil lines (these are the old threaded kind, not the quick-connects) but wondering if these are common fail points?
I did notice faint stress cracks on the HPOP body when it was out, don't appear to be deep enough to be leaking but hard to tell with aluminum? Again, don't want to drop lots of coin on a new HPOP, thoughts on using JBWeld as a test? If it stops the leak then not going to leave it like that, time for a new one.

I've read just about every thread here about this problem, any advice is appreciated, especially if there might be another likely source of the leak that I've overlooked.

Thks,
Peter
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2013, 07:37 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Did you also do all the rail plugs (same O-rings as the ICP and HP oil hoses-to-head joints)? If the HP oil line go, you will know it as it will spray oil everywhere at high pressure. Heck, I lost 4 quarts in 10 miles when one of my HPOP-to-HP hose O-rings went. How about the HPOP-to-Front cover gasket? Cheers!
Old 07-10-2013, 12:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

This leak is definitely near the HPOP. This is a 97, HPOP oil lines are threaded, no o-rings. Rear plate is completely clean and dry so that's not it. Yes, changed out the HPOP-to-Front cover gasket
After another couple of cans of brake clean, the source appears to be somewhere near the driver's side of the HPOP.
I never even thought of the oil rail plugs, there is one very close to the area where the leak appears to be coming. Going to keep a close eye on that area, hoping you're right. Ordered a new plug & gasket from Bob just in case.

Cheers,
Peter
Old 07-10-2013, 05:55 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Yes the hoses are threaded (with flares for sealing at the fittings at both ends of the hose), but the fittings are straight-threaded o-ring boss types where they seal at the HPOP and at the heads. I lost one of the HPOP fitting O-rings. Cheers!
Old 07-10-2013, 07:45 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

You were right: front oil galley plug on the driver's side. Part is on the way from dieselorings. $8 from him, $40 from the International dealer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.