Weird CEL/Crank/No Start Issue - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2013, 01:52 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Weird CEL/Crank/No Start Issue

hello hello,

first let me say this website has been extremely helpful in my diagnosis of issues and teaching me a ton over the past year about my new vehicle. but i need some direct help now.

HISTORY
i have a 1996 e350 7.3 powerstroke turbo. but its a short school bus!! had 196k on it when i got it. only had 1 batt which was weird, but it had 950cca, started and ran good as far as i know. this is my first deisel adventure. has always had a time with cold/morning starts/slow crank.

i redid the inside and all makin it a vacay trip vehicle. added a 5000 watt power inverter for house elec. and have since put 5k miles on it.

MORE HISTORY
comin back home from our last trip(it was raining) bout 400 miles from home started smelling a electronic burning coming from engine bay. i pulled over shut the truck off. sniffed around, isolated its origin from brake booster/coolant reservoir area. truck still starts up and continues to run fine to home and for months after.

MORE HISTORY
i live in nj and after sandy hit i was using my bus as a generator of sorts with the power inverter. just to run a few things. was runnin it for a about 2 hours in the morning. and then about 4-6 hours in the evening.

ACTUAL PROBLEM
about day 9 without power i started the truck up in the morning(heavy rain the night before) and it ran fine for about ten minutes then all of a sudden started bangin and misfiring. started back up but still sounded terrible. did research, i deduced that i lost a bank and it was runnin on half motor

FIXES SINCE THEN
did a ton of research, pulled off the valve covers, inspected the injector harness, nothin looked burnt or anything, gaskets were in really good shape. so i did more research. found out about the IDM on the driver fender(reminds me of that burnin smell from months before). i pull it out AND ITS FULL OF WATER!!! HOORAY I FOUND THE PROBLEM!!!!

or so i thought.

so i replace the IDM with one from XDP (xtreme deisel performance) that we crossed part numbers and all so it was direct fit.

CURRENT STATUS
turn key to on and all the dash lights come on like normal EXCEPT CEL shuts right back off really fast. wait to start light seems to operate fine. but the truck WILL NOT START!?!?!?

i throw another 800cca deep cycle batt into the mix. cranks awesome now. still NO START and still with that weird CEL ISSUE.

QUESTIONS
do IDM's need to be flashed?
what the hell is up with my truck?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2013, 02:40 PM

forgot to say. during the injector harness inspection i replaced the fuel filter. the bowl was def full of fuel.

changed the oil. got the full 16qts of rotella 15-40. oil is at proper lvl.

ended up changin water pump/thermostat and fresh coolant too

when i replaced IDM, inspection of the IDM plug presented no issues or burnt plastic harness connectors
Old 07-05-2013, 04:09 PM

just pulled codes

p0603 internal control module KAM error

p0113 turbocharger boost sensor A circuit low

also did an injector buzz test. system passed according to the snapon scanner. but it sounds weird. it buzzs all 8. but as it goes through the 8 individuals it sounds like multiple injectors buzz at the same time during 4, 5, 6, and 8. and none of them are very consistent sounding.

pulled the ecu out and apart before we ran the scanner on it too, everything visibly looks ok. no burnt, corroded or damaged anything. it does have liquid runoff marks down the sides of it and a little bit on the inside of the thinner panel. although everything was dry

Last edited by 96coolbus; 07-05-2013 at 04:28 PM. Reason: more info
Old 07-06-2013, 12:12 PM

anyone??

SYMPTOMS
cel turns on with key to on position but immediately shuts off.
wait to start light works.
fuses inspected to be ok.
changed the pcm and idm 5pin relays in engine bay fuse box for ****s and giggles.
oil is full.
crank no start.

do IDM's need to be flashed?????
and does the IDM in my truck do what the FICM does in a newer psd??

Last edited by 96coolbus; 07-06-2013 at 12:21 PM. Reason: more info
Old 07-07-2013, 09:08 AM

talked to XDP today. gonna go mon morning to swap out to another IDM. only thing i can come up with is maybe i got a defective one.

it helps there under ten min away here in wall, nj.

anyway, if anyone else wants to chime in, feel free.

im lookin forward to bein a part of the forum and sharin the Cool Bus adventures with people
Old 07-07-2013, 07:02 PM
Emergency Services

Xdp is a good place..there not to far from either I'm in howell
Old 07-07-2013, 07:18 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

The CEL should come on and quickly go off as it does it's self-test. If a new IDM doesn't help, you may need to check out the wiring for the Injection Pressure Regulator (IPR). The IPR wiring is part of the fuel bowl wiring harness which can have issues with diesel leaks turning the insulation to goo. Make sure that the High Pressure Oil Pump (HPOP) Reservoir oil level full. Cheers!
Old 07-08-2013, 04:42 AM

a CEL coming on and off is normal. but how fast THIS CEL turns on then right off is very ABNORMAL. something is def up involving that. usually CEL goes off with all other lights(brake,abs,etc...) during initial power. but mine literally shuts right off while other lights continue to function properly

i get a "flash" of check engine light at best.

monitering IPR during cranking, the numerical value chills around 30-34 which in my understanding is normal operation.

just not gettin that fuel pressure

still plannin on swappin out the IDM this morning

i will check the IPR wiring tho
Old 07-08-2013, 05:26 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Are you certain that the CE light stayed on with the key in RUN, without starting the engine, before this happened? Maybe the vans are different, but on both our trucks, the CE light stays on for about 1/8 second. It's literally "blink and you'll miss it".

So you're seeing NO fuel pressure at the schrader valve?
Old 07-08-2013, 11:51 AM

im using this video as an example. THIS IS NOT MY VEHICLE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2xQpp4u7j8

see when he turns key to on. all the dash indicator lights come on. including the service engine soon light on the lower right hand side. its just long enough to run the system checks like patrick stated

my 96e350's dash USED to operate fine in this manner as all vehicles ive come accross do. unless the cel bulb is pulled or some nonsense.

MY CEL light literally flashes for a split second, making it seem like im gettin power to the pcm and then immediately NOT.

hopefully everyone understands what im trying to convey

@madpo. the fuel pressure info was from a snapon scan tool. i havnt purchased a good fuel guage for this motor yet. from wat i understad i need a liquid filled up to 100psi?

Last edited by 96coolbus; 07-08-2013 at 11:55 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.