Diesel Newbie Looking for Help with Diagnosis - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2013, 02:33 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Diesel Newbie Looking for Help with Diagnosis

97 F250 4X4

-292,XXX
-reman tranny 5000k ago

-Check engine light staying on briefly in the mornings during a short drive to the shop (maybe 2 miles). Ambient temp about 75 deg. Gets to shop fine with what seems like an inconsistent engine noise when coasting after release of throttle. Check engine light goes off after maybe 30 seconds of driving.

-Get to shop at 7:00 am as usual. About an hour later I will run out for materials. Will get in start her up, inconsistent engine noise. Throttle to get out of parking lot (maybe 1000k) as coasting to stop sign: Shut down. Will restart immediately and run with inconsistent noises from engine bay when releasing throttle to coast to stop.

-Later in day, no check engine light, no inconsistent idle.

-Next day repeat, been about two weeks.

-Additional info: it does seem like that once or twice with constant throttle from the peddle in lower gears she will pick up pace without giving more throttle.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. If you guys could recommend a good scanner / diagnostic tool that doesn't break the bank, that would be cool tool.

Standing buy with tool set.

Thanks,

Countryroad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2013, 04:58 PM
Hee Hee, he's doing it...

What....kind of engine noise? A whirring / jet engine noise? Rubbing / scraping bearing noise? Clicking / popping noise?

Last edited by BigFuel; 07-01-2013 at 05:13 PM.
Old 07-01-2013, 04:59 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

scraping bearing noise inconsistently
Old 07-01-2013, 05:01 PM

Manual or automatic tranny?
Old 07-01-2013, 05:05 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Auto. i don't like where this is going Big Fuel. in five minutes no less....
Old 07-01-2013, 05:13 PM

If it was a Manual then this would be a Ford style clutch issue. Since it is not I will redirect and ask you to look under the hood. Look sideways at the Accessory belt system and see if any of the pulleys and/or belt look out of alignment/crooked. Remove the Accessory belt from the front of the motor and spin / tug on all of the pulleys. Test looking for bearing resistance to rotation and play in the bearing causing the pulley to camber out of alignment. same with the water pump. Spin it and grab a fan blade flexing it about to see if the bearing is on it's way out. For ****s and giggles get under the truck between the motor and tranny. There is an inspection plate covering the Torque Converter and Flexplate. Pull it and carefully bump the motor to make sure that all of the TC to Flexplate bolts are still tight.

Have you pulled codes to see what might be stored in the PCM?
Old 07-01-2013, 05:33 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Replaced belt about a month ago along with the belt tensioner. I checked all spinning parts at that time, but will do so again with special attention to water pump.

I assume that any resistance along the belt line will illuminate the check engine light.

Will also check bolts underneath.

No, I have not checked the codes. In the market for a good yet affordable tool for this.

Thanks for your help.
Old 07-01-2013, 05:39 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Cracked flexplate? (doesn't really sound like it, but I'll throw it out there anyway). Cheers!
Old 07-01-2013, 07:19 PM

No worries and Patrick offers good thoughts too. The Check Engine light is a reference to what is happening but often records the side effect of the issue. Say this was a high pressure oil issue. Just because the PCM records a weak injector or low oil pressure doesn't mean that it isn't a IPR, ICP, LPOP, HPOP, blown injector o-rings, bad harness, ect,ect just an example, not likely what you have going on...yet). Knowing the code helps pointing us in a direction is all. Since the light goes away it is also not likely an emissions issue. With that I'm thinking small and working my way up.

You only mentioned the truck stalling once. Is that normal when these things are happening? You don't mention if your truck is chipped, is it? Rule of thumb around here is to first pull the chip and drive it again. Next is to swap CPSs and see what happens. The cam position sensor is a know failure for these engines. Ford sells them in the range of $30, auto store closer to $20 but these engines really prefer Ford or International parts to generic auto stores.

I'm hoping that we are chasing two separate issue as apposed to one. This is why I'm having you chase the easy stuff first. In my mind the only thing that would cause both issues at the same time is a HPOP on its way out. This would also explain the power gain with consistent throttle pressure (best way to see that is with a scanner) or a wheel bearing on its way out. You didn't say anything about slight pulling to the side so I'm going HPOP.

Keep you eye on eBay for a MT2500 or MTG2500. That a K2a key, OBDII connector, and a '99 domestic diagnostic cartrige w/"diesel insight" or a cartrige for '01 or newer is all you need. If you are savvy enough you can get this and more for less than $150. Do not pay more than $225.
Old 07-02-2013, 03:05 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFuel View Post
You only mentioned the truck stalling once. Is that normal when these things are happening? You don't mention if your truck is chipped, is it? Rule of thumb around here is to first pull the chip and drive it again. Next is to swap CPSs and see what happens. The cam position sensor is a know failure for these engines. Ford sells them in the range of $30, auto store closer to $20 but these engines really prefer Ford or International parts to generic auto stores.
Howdy,

I appreciate you explaining the why behind it, so I can begin to understand.
No, the truck is stalling more than once. I'll explain below after answering your other questions. Not chipped. Just ordered a new Cam Position Sensor.

Checked serpentine belt today and pulleys no sign of abnormality.

Driving home today and it started to idle rougly while coasting and at standing still. It idled like it was almost choking (no signs of unusual smoke). Pulled in the driveway popped the hood and noticed that the engine was shaking more than normal. Observed for awhile and then turned it off. Waited about 10 seconds turned key position and waited for WTS to turn off: Fired right up, idled with a purr, and NO engine shake. 30 seconds later it shut off without prior warning.

In the market for new scanner, also have shop manuals. I know the German gasser I have, but the powerstroke is foreign to me at this point. I will change that soon, thanks to folks like you all.

Last edited by countryroad; 07-02-2013 at 03:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.