Very rough idle, dies, won't accelerate - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2013, 07:36 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Very rough idle, dies, won't accelerate

Yesterday I had taken a left turn with my truck, and a check engine light went on and the engine started running very rough. It wouldn't accelerate - just sort of idled off to the side of the road. I figured I had water in my fuel since i had to go through some pretty deep water to pump out some homes two days before. I drained the fuel bowl two or three times and it improved the situation. The engine started ran fine, i started to drive to a house where i can park the truck and it started idling rough again and i had to pull over, drain the fuel bowl and do it again. I could barely go 500m without pulling over. I'm going to put a new fuel filter on, to see if that improves it any. Does anyone have any suggestions?
The truck is a 1995 F250 HD 7.3 powerstroke, with 367,000 kms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2013, 05:06 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Try it on the other tank. You may have gotten a lot of water into the fuel tank that it's running on.
Old 06-29-2013, 09:53 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue View Post
Try it on the other tank. You may have gotten a lot of water into the fuel tank that it's running on.
The other tank leaks like it hates to hold fuel. I attempted to dilute the fuel by putting more diesel in and changing the filter. Changing the filter helped, but the problem came back. Then, while I was trying to read the code with my scanner, the plug that goes into the valve cover, on the passenger side, closest to the bumper shorted and caught fire. I assume the plug/gasket needs to be replaced and that's my problem, thank you for the response!
Old 12-02-2013, 06:59 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I have a 95 that threw a check engine light last Friday. It ran like rat crap. I could barely make it home. Several posts suggested fuel issues, and that is what I went after first. It was not fuel. While testing at dusk, I went to unplug one injector harness at the valve cover and the engine died! Plus, I saw sparking inside the harness! So, I pull the cover and fixed a broken wire. New cover on the wires and fired it up. Problem still there. So, I unplugged the other side injector harnesses - no change to how it ran (still crappy) and the light was still on. Clearly one bank was taking a holiday. The plugs looked fine. Anyway, I pulled the valve cover and the rear most glow plug wire roasted so bad that there was a big hole in the vc gasket connector. 4 new glow plugs and a new gasket, and I am going!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
7.3 rough idle check

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.