AC compressor not kicking on - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2013, 07:14 AM
Chapter Director

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
AC compressor not kicking on

What are possible reasons for the AC compressor not engaging. I tried giving it a few encouraging taps from a hammer and i wouldnt catch at all. Is the entire compressor dead or is there an easy fix?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2013, 07:15 AM
7.3 4 Ever! Nothing else!

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Its probly junk! Chances are being that old, never replaced, It Chit the bed
Old 06-24-2013, 11:35 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Low system pressure, no power to the compressor clutch, bad wiring connection at the compressor sensor, etc. Cheers!
Old 06-26-2013, 06:38 AM
Chapter Director

Ok so i found out that fuse #6 in cab was blown which controls the ac compressor and tank selector. Well i replaced it and it made me compressor kick on but at idle it would catch for a few seconds then it would kick off a few seconds then kick on a few seconds etc etc etc. Well i went driving and the air still didnt work, then a few miles down the road i saw my fuel level went down to empty again signalling it popped the fuse again.

Well whats weird is when i got the truck the ac didnt work but my tank selector worked great(other than my front tank read zero due to a fuel sender) but it worked until i went to the junkyard and got a new tank selector from an f-150 that the plastic wasnt broken on. And ever since then it hasnt worked right.

3 questions,

One...are the tank selectors different between the f-250/350 trucks and the f-150s causing problems?

Two what could be causing the fuse to pop after awhile of driving for no reason rather than right away when i flip the tanks or turn on the air?

Three what would cause my ac to kick on and off like that i looked the the compressor on my 2000 and that compressor stays on continuously at idle?
Old 06-26-2013, 12:29 PM
Chapter Director

Bump anyone??? I was reading about the gap test...where do i measure from? The front of it to the pulley or from the back of the pulley to the housing? Also do i need to remove the belt to get at the washers i need to remove?
Old 06-27-2013, 08:04 AM
Premium Member

It could be one of the ac pressure sensors, one went bad on mine and did similar. The one that went bad was near the condensor on one of the lines. If you are poping a fuse, you might have wires rubbing somewhere
Old 06-27-2013, 08:12 AM
Chapter Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryandamo View Post
It could be one of the ac pressure sensors, one went bad on mine and did similar. The one that went bad was near the condensor on one of the lines. If you are poping a fuse, you might have wires rubbing somewhere
I did the air gap mod and it still didnt work so I pressure tested the lines last night and found that it builds the pressure up until the optimum pressure then thats when the clutch kicks off then restarts once the pressure goes back to zero and repeats. I did the jumper test on the high pressure sensor and it did the same thing but i didnt know about the low pressure sensor your talking about until earlier when i read this so i am gonna try that sensor tonight and hope for the best
Old 06-27-2013, 09:08 PM
Chapter Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryandamo View Post
Yep i had the sensor on the condensor go bad thankfully because anything else i havent tested would be very costly. Does anybody know the part number for this sensor?
Old 06-29-2013, 06:41 PM
Chapter Director

Ok i got the sensor replaced ANDDDDD it didnt work so i went and got one of those A/C recharge bottles(I know i know) and i started filling it up watching the gauge carefully...well as i was filling it the compressor started making this horrible noise, smoking and sparking. I hurried and shut it off. I didnt want to mess with it anymore that night.

So i went out today and purged the line a little bit because i thought i must have over charged it. Well it stopped doing the noise and smoking thankfully and it still cycles but it goes alot longer on than it did before so i hooked the gauge up to the line and it was doing this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkD80ByzH4M

It builds pressure when the compressor kicks off and when it kicks on the pressure goes down. Does this make sense? It works good it wasnt real hot today so i couldnt test it but its definitely colder but not ice cold like i feel it should be.
Old 07-02-2013, 05:00 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

A/C problems

Here's a link that helped me on the gap for the a/c clutch.

SpringerPop's Compressor Clutch Air Gap

I was really lucky to find that the bolt holding the clutch plate on had left the truck. The plate was just hanging there held in by the fan shroud!

I bought the shim and bolt kit from AutoZone. Their number is MT0986 as stated in the link. I removed the .035 shim from the clutch plate spline opening and put in two smaller ones to get the .020 gap that is required. No sweat.

Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.