Need help. Can't figure out the problem on obs 7.3 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2013, 02:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Need help. Can't figure out the problem on obs 7.3

I'm helpin my friend with a late 94 7.3 power stroke, 4wd ext cab 250. First off, is the sensor in the 10 o clock position on the front of the motor the cam sensor or the crank sensor. Second the truck runs fine as long as its cold. When it warms up its starts bucking and missin and will shutoff. Now I've tried two different new cam sensors. When I put them on it would run. It would fire once or twice then not run. Tried two new cam sensors from two different stores, neither fixed the problem, Only made it worse. Put the old one back on and it cranks and runs fine until the oil warms up to 203 degrees. So I hook up a scanner and pull four codes and ran a buzz test. I pulled codes P1219 P0344 P0605 P1280. One code is for the cam sensor, one for icp sensor, one or the PCM or something and then one for cylinder identification. I looked at threads and never could find one that had all these codes at once. Any help is appreciated. I'm a pretty good mechanic and I know how to work on 7.3's as I've done it before but this one is completely stumping me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2013, 02:28 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

And another thing, I watched the icp pressure reading at idle an it was at 580 warm engine. If the motor doesn't die while idling it'll start like loping and the pressure varies between 3 and 600. Sometimes if you try to rev it up alittle the psi spikes almost to 2000 psi. If I unplug the icp it'll idle normally, but it still will buck and misfire when you drive it. Am I having two different problems that are compounding into one big one or what. Btw the truck has 240k miles on it
Old 06-22-2013, 02:32 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I also checked the ipr duty cycle I think and it read 15% so I'm pretty sure that means it has good injector o rings. I need to get this fixed because this is a good strong running truck with no blow by an no leaks. It also has a 6 way chip from kt performance
Old 06-22-2013, 04:27 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

It's the cam sensor. There is no crank sensor. Aftermarket CPS are known to be junk. Try one from an International or Ford dealer.

Do you see any oil on the ICP connector when you unplug it?

Gotta ask - how old is the oil, and how's the level?
Old 06-22-2013, 08:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok thanks on the cam sensor. There was some confusion in the parts crossreferencing. There was no oil in the icp connector and it has a fresh oil change and its full but it was a few thousand miles overdue
Old 06-23-2013, 01:23 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

About to put a motor craft cps in it and see if it'll run
Old 06-23-2013, 03:28 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well after 3 different cam sensor, the motor craft sensor is the only one that works and it is so far working perfectly fine and throwing no codes. I guess it was the cps after all
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.