CCV Problems! Help!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2013, 11:37 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
CCV Problems! Help!!

Alright fellas! i need some help here, recently my truck has been pissing oil off the oil pan and bell housing, makes it look like a rear main seal. i know it is not though, i have traced it back to the ccv. ive been looking at doing the ccv mod for a while but i think that it is past just doing a mod, i need to get a new ccv for it first as the current one appears to have blown every seal imaginable in it and is leaking from everywhere. in there lies a problem, i have looked everywhere i can think of and cannot seem to come up with a new or reman ccv. do any of yall know where to find one? suggestions would be greatly appreciated and while we're at it, what is the best ccv mod out there?
Thanks y'all!!

Kris out...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2013, 11:56 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

On my 2000 the CCV (crankcase vent) is just a hose that connected the leftside valve cover to the air inlet to vent, there are no parts besides a rubber elbow and tube which you can replace with any oil resistant hose. Can you take some pictures of what you found that is leaking oil heavily? that would help us alot!
Old 06-16-2013, 12:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

yessir, here ya go
Attached Thumbnails
CCV Problems! Help!!-img_20130616_151606_257.jpg   CCV Problems! Help!!-img_20130616_151629_150.jpg   CCV Problems! Help!!-img_20130616_151646_092.jpg   CCV Problems! Help!!-img_20130616_151710_060.jpg  
Old 06-16-2013, 12:32 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

its on the driver side valve cover, right near the brake booster. if i park it for an hour or so, i have a slightly smaller than baseball sized drip mark.
Old 06-16-2013, 12:48 PM
Unpremium Member

You might have two things (or more going on). The CCV box attaches to the valve cover with two phillips screws. There are two o-rings between the CCV and the valve cover that tend to go bad. This usually makes for oil on the oil cooler or the oil filter. I'd start here first, it's easy.

The oil coming off the back of the motor is more likely from the EBPV and/or the turbo pedestal o-rings. Rear seal leaks are fairly uncommon.

dieselorings.com has the orings.
Old 06-16-2013, 01:07 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaspipe View Post
You might have two things (or more going on). The CCV box attaches to the valve cover with two phillips screws. There are two o-rings between the CCV and the valve cover that tend to go bad. This usually makes for oil on the oil cooler or the oil filter. I'd start here first, it's easy.

The oil coming off the back of the motor is more likely from the EBPV and/or the turbo pedestal o-rings. Rear seal leaks are fairly uncommon.

dieselorings.com has the orings.
He is right on the money, that box that attaches to the valve cover will be easy to reseal with new orings, I found some for our '95 at our local napa, I took the old ones off and they matched them up in less than 2 minutes. I think it was a total of $2
Old 06-16-2013, 01:52 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

i replaced them twice already, it started leaking out of where the bottom of the vent connected to the top of the vent. i jb welded it but it ate through that too. so i kinda just need to get a new one.... as far as the oil goes, i can see the run mark of oil running down the back of the motor coming from the bottom of the drivers side valve cover and it runs down, splits off (some of the oil runs down the oil filter and anything near it) and some runs right in between the oil pan and bell housing and then comes out on both.
Old 06-16-2013, 04:58 PM
Unpremium Member

If I were lucky enough to have a boogered up CCV housing, I think I would remove the valve cover and weld in a pair of 90 degree elbows to the valve cover. One to send to a breather box, the other as an oil return. IMHO, the OE breather is marginally sized, especially for an aging diesel.

How the two swedged halves of your CCV got loose is a mystery. You could always degrease the part, then use something like permatex ultragrey or Hondabond ht to re-seal it, or have a buddy tig it together.
Old 06-25-2013, 03:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Sounds like I'm about to have some fun on this project....

Real quick unrelated question, Bruce, I noticed in your SIG that you have the idm mod on your f super duty. How do you like that? What exactly does it change?
Old 01-14-2014, 03:28 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I am a new member to the forum, but have had the privilege of reading all the excellent knowledge shared here.

I recently have been trouble-shooting starting problems on my 1997 F250 7.3L 4x4. In the mean time I performed the Crankcase Ventilation (CCV) modification for under $40with excellent results. I took the time and documented the steps along with several photos. I have not figured out how to upload the document (PDF) since I am just a standard member. So I have stored the document out on my personal website and created a link to open the document. I hope the information helps others who have questions about the CCV modification. Thanks!

http://www.wafenterprises.com/1997_7-3L_PSD_CCV_Mod.pdf

Let me know if you have issues opening the link.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.