Fuel problem? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2013, 02:29 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Fuel problem?

Sunday night I was heading to a buddies house (about 30 miles) and my truck started doing this thing where it seems like the filter is clogging/not getting enough fuel. It's loses power and makes a noise. (I guess it's the injectors clacking from no fuel+cylinders "dry firing")
So I pulled over and tried draining the filter. Not sure if anything at all came out. (It was dark and I didn't have a light) But it then quit doing it.

So Tuesday comes around I'm heading to my gf's parents house (maybe 7 miles) and it does it again. About ways there. So same thing, I pull off and try to drain the filter, but this time I have a bottle I drain it into. At first hardly anything came out so I shut it off, then got it to drain. All kinds of crap in it. Looks like rust/dirt.
So I head on and make it about a mile and it's doing it again, but this time actually died. So I finally got it started after a lot of cranking and switching to the front tank. Put $40 in fuel in at qt of the way, and it did fine the rest of the way.
When I got there I changed the filter and let it run for a bit.
Later when I went to leave, it died again at the entrance of the neighborhood. Cranked awhile again and got it started.

Well yesterday (Friday) I'm heading back to her house, and it does it again at about the same spot, just not as bad. So I slowed down and kept going, and it quit doing it.
On the way home, same thing but at the mark this way. Slow down into town and it quits doing it.
Drained it again but it's fairly clean. Just a few specs in it.

A few months ago I relaced the fuel pump with an airtex from autozone, which I believe is made by carter. When I replaced it, it had same symptoms leading up to failure, but it was all in the same day, and I believe was caused by a non venting fuel cap.
When I had it apart, I cleaned all the screens and the bowl itself.
There don't seem to be any leaks in the valley. The drain hose leaks when I open it. So I need to dry it up, then run it to see if it comes back while running, or only when I open the drain valve.

Does this sound like another failing pump? Or what?
I hate to change it again just to put another failure prone mechanical pump on, but as long as it gets me a few weeks to collect everything for an e-fuel setup, I would do it.

This is my 94 PSD.
I've been pumping fuel from my brothers truck being as his engine is blown, but his showerheads are broke off, so I don't see how I could've picked up trash from his tanks.

This all started running on the rear tank, which is plastic on my truck. My front is metal though.

Also I changed the oil Wednesday with TSC traveller 15w-40 all fleet diesel oil and mobil 1 filter.

Changed the rubber fuel lines between the pump and filter a few weeks after changing the pump.
Also no longer have the restriction sensor since they're so leak prone. I used a pipe plug and some sealant.

Tomorrow I'm going to see if I can find a fuel pressure gauge, or rent one of the testers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2013, 04:21 AM

Did you find the problem yet? Did you say you cleaned your fpr completly? I am interested to know the cure. Thanks
Old 06-21-2013, 11:52 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Turns out my tank pickups were broke off. And a piece got in the fuel line somewhere.
Old 06-21-2013, 08:03 PM

Thats a tough one! Thanks for the info!
Old 06-21-2013, 11:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I'm ordering a fuel pressure gauge tomorrow. It still seems to lack a little power at times, so I want to keep an eye on it.
Walbro makes new tank pickups that I plan on using eventually. Walbro mp-12 or mp-13, still deciding which.

Are you having problems with yours? Or just wandering for future reference?
Old 06-22-2013, 07:18 AM

Just reference. But I currently have my engine on the stand to replace the oil pan. While I have the engine out, I'm also doing a list of other things including fuel bowl, fuel pressure regulator, and IPR --teardown cleaning & new O rings. Issues with those items could cause similar symptoms to yours I think, just interested incase I screwed up with reassembly .... I'll know where to look. Thanks, and good luck. It will be interesting to see what returns you to full power.
Old 06-22-2013, 08:00 AM

After reading your post again. When my cps failed, it did the same thing as you are experiencing. I could keep it running by going faster or slower but it would run rough. some times it would just die then take some crancking or if I let it rest, it would start again.
Old 06-22-2013, 08:58 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I'm definitely wanting to swap a new one. Then keep the old one for a spare.
Old 05-09-2014, 09:43 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Just as an update, still going strong.
Did end up swapping the CPS, runs a bit better.
Do have some slight fuel weeping in the valley though.
And I did blow the drivers return line. Lol fun fun.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.