Not usual no start problem 97 stroker - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2013, 06:15 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Not usual no start problem 97 stroker

Need help fellas. My 97 is only starting occasionally with no apparent reason. It was starting by holding pedal to floor- so did my research and replaced the EOT. Started good for 3 days then slowly went back to no starting again. It will start right up with a tiny whiff of ether. Runs great when started. I have replaced all other sensors and new zd11 gp's and relay is good. Hpop pressure is excellent. Very little white smoke at start up. If I unplug EOT it cycles plugs for a minute but still won't start. I tried the 4.7k resister mod and didn't help. Is there a chance that my TS chip is fouling my EOT? If I have bad injector orings will that be enough drain off to not start within 10 min or so? Fuel filter seams to be oil free. I'm lost on a good answer and been through forum after forum. My fuel pressure runs 45-65 on the mechanical pump. It runs great when started. Ideas please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2013, 06:27 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
What is your battery voltage during cranking. It may be drawing it down just a bit too far and not let the IDM operate correctly.

Don't use ether!!! Use WD-40 instead if your going to try to start it that way.
Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 06-14-2013, 08:05 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Batteries are good. I keep charger ready when diagnosing. My mechanic buddy has a top of the line scanner. I'm not throwing codes, no check engine light. If I pull plug on eot to fool computer it throws on the light. It has something to do with oil pressure or the eot I'm sure. I can do the usual dummy tests on the other sensors and everything works fine. I did a rebuild on the ipr instead of a new one but it should throw a code I assume. Don't understand why the new eot started it fine for a couple days then stopped. Ever heard of a chip ruining sensors? Thinking about pulling my old TS and trying to run it couple days without to see. My chip has been acting up-100 hp doesn't seem to have an effect on performance. Could my pcm be screwy and messing with starting.
Old 06-14-2013, 08:16 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Definitely remove the chip and see what happens. It may be something as simple as the chip needing to be reseated. What happens when the EBP sensor is unplugged (it can sometimes short and cause problems). Cheers!
Old 06-14-2013, 09:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Not sure on the EBP. Didn't think it would affect starting. Maybe unplug it and clean the tube while I'm at it. Worth a shot at this point. Thanks for the help guys. If anybody has an idea let me know- not real knowledgable about the PCM stuff on these trucks.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:12 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coal Rollins View Post
Batteries are good. I keep charger ready when diagnosing. My mechanic buddy has a top of the line scanner. I'm not throwing codes, no check engine light. If I pull plug on eot to fool computer it throws on the light. It has something to do with oil pressure or the eot I'm sure. I can do the usual dummy tests on the other sensors and everything works fine. I did a rebuild on the ipr instead of a new one but it should throw a code I assume. Don't understand why the new eot started it fine for a couple days then stopped. Ever heard of a chip ruining sensors? Thinking about pulling my old TS and trying to run it couple days without to see. My chip has been acting up-100 hp doesn't seem to have an effect on performance. Could my pcm be screwy and messing with starting.
How do you know your batteries are good? Just because they show 12v just sitting their with no draw doesn't mean they are good. Did you load test them? Just check your voltage during cranking, its not like its going to take all but 30seconds to do.
Old 06-15-2013, 08:17 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I will definantly check the battery load. Should be fine though, batteries are not that old and I have a gear reduction starter. Last time we ran full test scan everything passed. Hpop pressure is above 1500, rpms are above 120. I do need to make sure I got the needed .80 volts going to PCM, I would imagine that's in the scan procedure also. Ill double check. Where should I pull the load test from?
Old 06-15-2013, 01:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coal Rollins View Post
I will definantly check the battery load. Should be fine though, batteries are not that old and I have a gear reduction starter. Last time we ran full test scan everything passed. Hpop pressure is above 1500, rpms are above 120. I do need to make sure I got the needed .80 volts going to PCM, I would imagine that's in the scan procedure also. Ill double check. Where should I pull the load test from?
Check at the battery while cranking. Either have someone turn the key for you or jump the solenoid while u watch your meter. Its possible your alt. isn't putting out full charge like it should when it is running. It can show its charging but not quite enough. Another way you can kinda check would be to use another vehicle and help jump start it, give you more umph.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 06-15-2013, 04:41 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Update- It starts after sitting for long periods-6 or more hours. Also if I shut it down and start it up right away again within 30 secs or so. So is it just me or does it seem like an oil issue? Temperature issue or warm start issue? With the gear reduction starter it turns over high rpm. Are these symptoms of EBP failure or clogged tube, or IPR closing to far?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.