Loss of Boost, running poorly - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2013, 10:38 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Loss of Boost, running poorly

Seems like a loss of Boost/Power happened within the last three weeks. My 97 has 3" downpipe, 4" exhaust, with diy cold air intake and TS chip with just over 240,000 miles. This setup has been running great for the last three years, but lately it's been doggin.

Boost develops slower than usual and peaks about 12-15, usually WOT would get 22 psi and black smoke. Pulled the horse trailer up a two mile pass and couldn't get into fourth gear. And no black smoke...Normally I could hit fifth(manual) watching the EGT's, and pouring black smoke at the top end.

Just fixed the fuel leak at shut-off. Valley is dry afterwards. The fuel filter is replaced, though the fuel bowl looks a little dirty. Engine components are all original. Checked the turbo, vanes show a little wear but not rounded off, and the wheel turns fine.

I checked the manifold to up pipes for leaks, tightened the drivers side that showed a little soot, passenger side showed no soot. Didn't really see any soot around the turbo y pipe.

Sprayed pb blastser on the bolts from the Exhaust Back Pressure Valve housing and will try to take that off to check to see if the butterfly valve is opening all the way.

I know I need to get it on the right scanner. Oreilly's scanner did not show any codes this morning. Any ideas? Thanks ahead for your time. Michael
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2013, 06:48 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Next I'd pull and clean the IPR screen and also check for boost leaks. Also check your fuel pressure.

Will the scanner at OReilleys even connect to your truck? The small handhelds won't connect to my 97.
Old 06-11-2013, 07:20 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks Gaius for the reply.

Where is the IPR screen? Thought I would do the following order.

1. Clean/check IPR screen.
2. Clean and rebuild of my fuel bowl, replacing lines and seals.
3. Check fuel pressure, assume I need a fuel pressure guage will search for a how to thread.
4. Order AE scan tool.
5. Check for boost leaks, no soot visible will look into pressurizing system and spraying with soapy water.

Included a couple pics of turbo & fuel bowl. As stated compression wheel turns freely.

Could worn-out injectors be responsible for low boost?

[ATTACH]Loss of Boost, running poorly-img_0685-1-.jpg[/ATTACH]

[
Attached Thumbnails
Loss of Boost, running poorly-img_0679-1-.jpg  
Old 06-11-2013, 11:32 AM

I'm thinking he meant FPR (Fuel Pressure Regulator) screen vice IPR. Note that on 96/97 there is the "usual" screen at the FPR-to-Bowl joint AND a mesh-type screen under a circlip-retained plate where the fuel line comes into the bottom of the FPR. Check/clean both (don't know how hard or effective cleaning the mesh screen is). Cheers!
Old 06-11-2013, 01:02 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

IPR vs FPR

Thanks Patrick, note to self on the FPR...ordered the AE scan software from Riffraff....

Last edited by Boise97; 06-11-2013 at 02:48 PM.
Old 06-11-2013, 03:51 PM

Whoops, fat finger. Yup, fuel regulator screen. Should only take 5-10 minutes and they are usually pretty full.
Old 06-12-2013, 03:57 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Removed the FPR and found the screen totally clogged. It's surprising any fuel passed through. Now how does the circlip-retained plate come apart, it looks simple enough I just don't want to break something trying to disassemble?
Old 06-12-2013, 11:53 AM

Remove the circlip and the plate. The mesh will be under it (really straightforward ... snapring pliers are a help in this case). Cheers!
Old 06-13-2013, 03:54 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Extra Parts

Drained the fuel bowl, removed the filter check valve(left-hand threads)and then the fuel bowl heater. And found an extra part, a small disc, probably a plastic disc not metal in the bottom of the fuel bowl---where does this disc go?

EDIT: So I figured out the disc, it is 1 of 3 that keep the heater element from contacting the plate. Does anyone know the ford part number for this heater element plate?
Attached Thumbnails
Loss of Boost, running poorly-photo-40-.jpg  

Last edited by Boise97; 06-13-2013 at 04:21 PM.
Old 06-14-2013, 12:05 PM

Here are the part numbers:

Fuel Heater Element
Old Style: (Ford) F5TZ-9J294-A (94-97), (International) 1825186C91 (may not work, need to check)
New Style: (Ford) F81Z-9J294-AA, (International) 1831196C92, (Dorman) 904-210
(requires some mods to fuel bowl)

Most folks (including me) just leave it unplugged or remove it rather than replace it since gelling is not really a problem for most with today's fuels. If you do replace it, the new style is a nice upgrade and the Dorman supposedly does not require any modification to the bowl. The old style will just fail again like your old one. Cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
loss of power, low boost

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.