95 PSD really tries the patience - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2013, 05:37 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
95 PSD really tries the patience

Got a 95 f450 4x4 ( marmon herrington conversion) that has given me fits since the day I purchased it 13 or more years ago. Anyway the engine that is in it now is a 97 7.3 that has been running good for the last 1000 miles or so since. Put it in there.

But today after running about 13 miles down the freeway I pulled up to a light, no problems, until I tstarted to pull away. It was like somebody turned off the key, tried to start it, crank no smoke no start nothing even remotely related to trying to start. WTS light is on ,checked all fuses while I waited for the tow truck, all are good.

Got back the shop hooked up the scan tool and did injector buzz test all buzzed, pulled codes got p01661(??????) can't remember but it has something to do with the an open circuit or bad PCM? Had ann extra PCM don't know if is known good or not but plugged it in no change. It should be noted that the tach needle was moving when the batteries were fully charged and cranking well.

I am going to change the CPS but I would bet that this will not cure the problem, as I changed it with one of the three I have around that I am pretty sure are good but changed them over the years to try to fix this piece of sh&t.

Where to go now, and on another note does anyone make an adapter to mate a newer 6.0 Chevrolet to the ZF transmission, because I intend to rectify this problem with a more reliable power plant in the near future. Just need to get it operational right now. Thanks for the replies and sorry for the frustration, but this engine has pushed me to the limit and beyond,as well as giving me 13 years of rotten smells, bad fuel economy, and intermittent problems just need it for work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2013, 04:38 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well thanks for all the help, thought I would let you know that I replaced th ipr after getting 120 to 130 psi at cranking speed. I can honestly say that the powerstroke engine management design is one of the poorest I have worked on in all the 30 years of working on all kinds of engines. Does anyone know of any transmission adapter companies that will mate the ZF to a newer Chevrolet 6.0 liter. After that you stroke lovers can come and get the two running 7.3s out of my shop
Old 05-19-2013, 05:53 PM
DERAIL MOD!!!

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Looked at trans adapt? Hell if your going Chevy motor why not throw an Allison trans to follow it up?
Old 05-19-2013, 06:12 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdk4219 View Post
Well thanks for all the help, thought I would let you know that I replaced th ipr after getting 120 to 130 psi at cranking speed. I can honestly say that the powerstroke engine management design is one of the poorest I have worked on in all the 30 years of working on all kinds of engines. Does anyone know of any transmission adapter companies that will mate the ZF to a newer Chevrolet 6.0 liter. After that you stroke lovers can come and get the two running 7.3s out of my shop
Hey man...you might want to watch it. People have been towing and using these motors for almost 20 years and I have heard nothing but awesome things. You have issues with it I can't bet one of two of these are them. Heavy foot/ lack of maintenance...

On the other hand if you're looking to save fuel with a swap, try a 12valve Cummins. Not a horsey beast but it'll pull through and its completely mechanical. Very reliable.
I have a heartfelt attachment to Cummins as my dad worked for them for twenty years. And he has an excursion with a 7.3 and an 06 5.9cr 2500 Ram. Only problem his 96 gave him was the trans. You have that fixed with the ford one. Only reason for doing that swap would be that its a more common one, easier to find parts for.

If your dead set on a 6.0GM then go find a bell housing from a Chevy 2500 and find out its size and bolt pattern and order one from a medium duty shop
Old 05-19-2013, 06:16 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

what kind of problem have you been having? and have fun with baby 6.0 vortec trying to move your truck with 5mpg. and it wont last 500k lke the 7.3 will.
Old 05-19-2013, 07:17 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdk4219 View Post
Got a 95 f450 4x4 ( marmon herrington conversion) that has given me fits since the day I purchased it 13 or more years ago. Anyway the engine that is in it now is a 97 7.3 that has been running good for the last 1000 miles or so since. Put it in there.

But today after running about 13 miles down the freeway I pulled up to a light, no problems, until I tstarted to pull away. It was like somebody turned off the key, tried to start it, crank no smoke no start nothing even remotely related to trying to start. WTS light is on ,checked all fuses while I waited for the tow truck, all are good.

Got back the shop hooked up the scan tool and did injector buzz test all buzzed, pulled codes got p01661(??????) can't remember but it has something to do with the an open circuit or bad PCM? Had ann extra PCM don't know if is known good or not but plugged it in no change. It should be noted that the tach needle was moving when the batteries were fully charged and cranking well.
First problem. A used motor you just put in there... Didn't check it out?Run voltages on sensors? Just because it doesn't have blow by doesn't mean its been maintained or doesn't have worn out parts.
Second problem, didn't pull codes while trying to start it? Didn't check all parameters? That's why it has electronics. Emissions was minimal at best back then. The computer in that truck has less computing than an app on my phone. The point of putting it on in the first place was so you could take it to the dealership and they didn't have to warranty the whole motor because it won't start...
If you worked on motors for so long, why didn't you buy a good one, blueprint it, replace all the sensors and make sure it was good to go before install?
And if you really think a 6.0 gm is better... Get a medium duty truck with a gasser engine. If you can. That's how useless gassers are at towing and being work trucks
Old 05-20-2013, 04:40 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.3 Whitey View Post
First problem. A used motor you just put in there... Didn't check it out?Run voltages on sensors? Just because it doesn't have blow by doesn't mean its been maintained or doesn't have worn out parts.
Second problem, didn't pull codes while trying to start it? Didn't check all parameters? That's why it has electronics. Emissions was minimal at best back then. The computer in that truck has less computing than an app on my phone. The point of putting it on in the first place was so you could take it to the dealership and they didn't have to warranty the whole motor because it won't start...
If you worked on motors for so long, why didn't you buy a good one, blueprint it, replace all the sensors and make sure it was good to go before install?
And if you really think a 6.0 gm is better... Get a medium duty truck with a gasser engine. If you can. That's how useless gassers are at towing and being work trucks
Diagnostics, on pre 99 powerstroke, now that is funny. I may have more luck using my ouija board to summons the diesel gods. I can only guess that I have run the cylinder contribution test more than 25 times with
My solus, only to have system pass. This of course was on an extremely rough running truck.

The truck had 155,000 miles when i purchased it in 2000. At that point the engine, injectors and harness were already worn out. I have only put 65000 miles on the truck and it has left me on the side of the road and in need of a tow 4 times. The list of parts on the last engine included 8 injectors, 2 cam sensors, wiring harness,glow plugs, water pump, and I am sure there is more that I am missing.
Mechanically the engines are very good, but the electronic management leaves much to be desired. I have changed oil every 4000 miles with rotella and have maintained the truck well. I am sure there are some great stories about the 7.3 powerstroke out there, just as you will find fans of the Chrysler 2.7 , 3.2 Cadillac North Star, Cadillac 4100, gm 6.5 turbo diesel, 6.2 diesel, Pontiac 301, cosworth vega, Mazda rx7 turbo rotary 93,94, Mercedes 600 v12. The list goes on.

The point of the matter is that I am in search of a more reliable alternative for this engine, which for me is not worth the trouble and money. It makes no power, gets so so fuel mileage 10mpg towing a 6500# trailer and kills me I. Maintenance cost. I drive it less than 7000 miles a year, it has always, and many trucks that I follow, smell like worn out freight trains, which really isn't fun to breathe anymore. Hell my kubota diesels are great, but the affinity for the 7.3 has left the earth.
You guys please do your part in keeping the Economy alive by fixing what ails the powerstroke, keep up the good fight and spend your extra time keeping the trucks running, but this relationship is one sided and I for one , am out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.