97 OBS Lift pump failure?? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2013, 07:24 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
97 OBS Lift pump failure??

As you guys know I don't frequent these parts of the forums too often, but I have a buddy that has a 97 OBS 7.3L but is failing to get fuel to the top of the engine in engine mounted filter housing (not sure if there is one). He wants me to come look at it but I need to know what to look for and what to try so that I can possibly diagnose his truck's issues. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2013, 08:07 PM
Banned

Old 05-13-2013, 08:24 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
There is a tire pressure valve on the side that you can use to see what kind of fuel pressure your getting. If none, and there is no major fuel leaks. Replace the fuel pump. I would hope he is well over 200k before he needs to replace that pump though.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:27 PM
Banned

He said that it has a lot of miles but it ran great then all of a sudden it won't start. Is there a fuse or relay I should check while I'm in there? Pictures of said pump and valve your talking about would be great. Thanks for the help .
Old 05-13-2013, 08:36 PM

Its really easy to see the Schrader valve there. It should have a tire like cap on it. What are the symptoms?

Crank, but rpm gauge doesn't move?= Cam sensor or Fuse in the panel below the steering wheel. Cure if its the fuse is to unhook the fuel bowl heater. Look for a thread on how to do that.

No fuel pressure is most likely the pump.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:36 PM

there's a mechanical pump in the valley that's the only fuel pump on the obs trucks, also check the fuel lines if they crack itll suck in air and not run
Old 05-13-2013, 08:38 PM
Banned

Good stuff guys keep it coming. Thanks.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabegoforth View Post
Its really easy to see the Schrader valve there. It should have a tire like cap on it. What are the symptoms?

Crank, but rpm gauge doesn't move?= Cam sensor or Fuse in the panel below the steering wheel. Cure if its the fuse is to unhook the fuel bowl heater. Look for a thread on how to do that.

No fuel pressure is most likely the pump.

bowl heater is in the engine compartment box not under the wheel one
Old 05-22-2013, 09:18 AM
Banned

Ok so I made it out to look at that truck today and this is what I found.

Pulled the fuel filter cap and there was about 1/4" of fuel in the bowl. Pressed in the Schrader valve and there was no pressure. Turned the key on and didn't hear anything either. Tried to crank and no fire (not surprising).

Remembered someone saying something about a fuel selector switch, I located the switch and flipped it to the rear tank. Tried cranking again and this time it started to fire. It wouldn't start BUT it was starting to fire and sputter like it wanted to start.

So my question is this, does that mean that it is a fuel pick up problem in the front tank causing it to not get fuel? If so what kind of time and parts are required to fix it? Anything else I should be checking as well?

I also climbed under the truck and looked at the rubber soft lines and they were all good, almost like new. Truck has 350k+ on it and is a little beat up. If I get it running the owner wants to sell it outright and be done with it. It just got a brand new Jasper racing transmission ($3500) in it as well. What kind of price range should he be asking for it (it is kinda rough, body is in decent shape, right bed panel is dented in but no rust anywhere on the truck and it is a 2wd, Interior is rough as well) he isn't looking to get rich just wanting rid of the truck he is a pipeliner and travels the country for work so he doesn't need this truck anymore. Thanks for the help guys.
Old 05-22-2013, 09:36 AM
Can you hear the derail??

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Maybe $4500 not running, but 5k running, those miles kill the price, and the dented body
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.