Help Suspected Fuel Problem - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2013, 07:55 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Help Suspected Fuel Problem

I recently had my 96 F-250 7.3 PSD shut off while driving down the road at 30 MPH. When it shut off, it shut off clean as if I lost electrical power (no shudder or anything). No check engine light, just battery light. I tried to recrank a couple times but it never kicked over.

After a short tow to my friends house and a couple hours of scouring the forums I'm at a loss.

Here is what I have ran through/found so far:

Fuses-No blown fuses, fuel bowl heater previously disconnected

CPS-had rpm's on the tach while cranking, also confirmed with scanner (scanner also came back with zero codes)

Fuel- Replaced fuel filter (old one seemed clean/fine)
No pressure out of shrader valve
Multiple bad (dry rot) lines-removed fuel bowl and replaced lines
Screen from fuel bowl to fuel water separator very dirty-cleaned
Fuel bowl does fill when cranking
Still no pressure at sharder valve
Backed off b-nuts heading to engine-slow drip when cranking

Oil- Oil was about a quart low-filled oil
Looked in oil well in front of motor-oil full

IDM- Removed IDM-shook it and no water present
Ensured good connection/reinstalled

After reassembling everything, trying to re-establish prime. Cranked on and off for 45 min or so. Against my better judgement shot one shot of ether down the intake. Engine tried to start. (not an ether fan, don't want this thing to become an ether baby)

If anyone can help me out with next direction or what to check please let me know. This forum has been invaluable source for the last couple years and has kept my truck running. I'm at wits end. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2013, 08:11 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Oh btw stock, no chip
Old 04-21-2013, 12:49 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

fuel bowl fills,how fast or slow?how old do you think pump is?might better do a pressure check,or vacuum test on it,keep searching on the site,find what i mentioned,plus f.p.r.hope that helps
Old 04-21-2013, 04:57 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Geo,
I think the bowl fills kinda slow but I don't really have a frame of reference. As far as I know the fuel pump has never been changed. Going to look into pressure/vacuum tests. Thanks for the help.
Old 04-21-2013, 05:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

check everywhere on the site,ive seen both off them,pressure and vacuum test,and you need to do both cause it is a 2 system pump,good searching
Old 04-23-2013, 06:13 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

This is my first time ever posting to any forum. I have a similar fuel problem on my 1995 powerstroke. I've learned a lot about powerstrokes trying to solve the problem. I have a pressure gauge installed in the schrader valve port and only have 8-10 psi while cranking instead of 55 psi that is desired. I've tried two new lift pumps with no improvement. I've removed, disassembled, and cleaned the fuel filter assembly. It has a pressure relief valve that I thought might be causing the problem. After cleaning it I applied air pressure to where the fuel return lines connect to the relief valve and blocked the other return line fitting and found out that the relief valve spring is set at 55psi indicating the relief valve was ok as well as my pressure gauge.
Old 04-23-2013, 06:42 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Sorry, my computer decided to post before I was finished. I replaced the IDM at first because it had a trouble code that would appear after clearing. I've checked the HPOP pressure also using a gauge that read 3000psi while cranking. I removed the valve covers to inspect the injector/glow plug wiring and everything appears ok. Not knowig any better I have been able to hear it run using starting fluid but only if the injector plugs are disconnected. When the injectors are connected it will not start using starting fluid. ??? I thought maybe bad fuel could be the problem so I disconnected both fuel lines near the tank, bought a new fuel can, filled it with fresh diesel, and used new fuel lines inserted in the fuel can. No change. I've stopped using starter fluid after reading the forums. I don't think that I've done any damage because the compression sounds good while cranking. It almost starts as long as the starter is cranking but will not run on its own.
At this time I still have not solved the low fuel pressure and fell that if I had the desired 55psi it would start. I haven't helped solve your problem but would like to know if you have had any luck on your own. If I do find my problem I will post my findings
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.