turbo rebuild and reseal and still blowing blue smoke - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2013, 03:31 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
turbo rebuild and reseal and still blowing blue smoke

Hey guys, had a few questions for y'all. I'm pretty new to the 7.3 so I'm just needing a little help diagnosing my problem.

I recently ran into problems with my tp38 leaking oil out of the turbine seal and thus blowing blue smoke everywhere. Well I was planning on doing an EBPV delete because I was also having pedestal trouble so I went ahead and bought the new pedestal and deleted the EBPV (I got tired of my truck sounding like a jet at 3 in the morning). In doing so I found that my bearing housing was cracked, so I ordered a new one of those too. I rebuilt my turbo using all the new components and a new rebuild kit, and everything was fine for around a month, then last week it started blowing heavy blue smoke. Thinking that I may have gotten a bad batch of seals, I ordered new seals and resealed it this past weekend. I let the turbine housing, and everything that had oil on it, sit in cleaner to try to get the residue off so that when I finished resealing the turbo it wouldn't smoke. Well I put everything back together, fired it up and let it idle for 15 min or so, then I took it for a drive to see what happened. It still smoked. I drove it a while thinking that some of the oil may not have been taken away but cleaner but it never got better. Today I pulled the flange off the turbo and sure enough the inside was COATED in fresh oil as if I hadn't resealed it.

Here's a list of all the tp38 parts that are new:
Non-ebpv pedestal
rebuild kit
reseal kit
bearing housing
wicked wheel
(should've just bought a new turbo)

I'm stumped, do y'all think I got a batch of bad seals or is there something else that might be causing this? I read somewhere that the crankcase sometimes can become over pressurized and leak out the ccv or something like that, (correct me if I'm wrong) but from what I understood that leaks oil into the compressor side, not out of the turbine side.

Thanks in advance for your help!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2013, 07:35 AM

Location: Sunshine Coast or Baja California...Depends on the temperatiure
Oil leaking past the exhaust valve seals or a broken piston ring.
Old 04-15-2013, 05:53 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

That's what I was thinking too but the up pipes are bone dry, it isn't until after the turbo that things become covered in oil. If you take the turbine housing off, you can see where oil is going in between the heat shield and the bearing housing. When I took the heat shield off (the cup looking thing) it was filled with oil.

Last edited by Jack-Stand; 04-15-2013 at 06:06 PM.
Old 04-16-2013, 07:26 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Does it go away when it warms up? I'm betting injector o-rings.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:16 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by superduty4x4 View Post
Does it go away when it warms up? I'm betting injector o-rings.
No it doesn't, it still rolls blue even after it has warmed up. Would the smoke go away after the truck had warmed up if it were injector o-rings?

I'll see if I can't get a picture on here later on as to what I think the culprit is. You can see on the turbo where black sludge (old hot oil) is coming out of the turbine flange and also in between the bearing housing and the turbine housing.
Old 04-17-2013, 07:34 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Here's pictures of what I've found thus far... I would've taken pictures of the up pipes too but that slipped my mind last weekend when I had it off.
Attached Files
File Type: zip attachments.zip (183.9 KB, 86 views)
Old 04-21-2013, 11:11 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Just an update on the current progress of the turbo... I took it off again (this makes the 11th time, pretty sad) but I tore the turbo down again and checked everything and it looked good except when I took the turbine shaft out I noticed that the gap on my turbine side piston ring seal wasn't pointed toward top dead center. I pointed the seal toward top dead center and threw everything back together and went for a little cruise, about 50 miles or so, and what do you know, no blue smoke.
Old 08-21-2014, 08:44 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Hello jack stand so you saying it was the turbine seal gap faceing down?
Old 08-22-2014, 06:10 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yessir that's what took care of it for me. That and new seals... kind ofa dumb and expensive lesson to learn, but i learned never to try to reuse a seal that's already been installed regardless of if you just bought it. What happened with me was i bought new seals, didn't pay attention to the gap, put everything back together and it still puffed blue.. when this happened i pulled everything apart again and put it back together with the new-used seal in the TDC position... it held for a while but eventually started back with the blue... so i bought another set of seals and reinstalled the new turbine side seal with the gap in the TDC position. It hasn't puffed blue since which was about 20k-25k miles ago.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.