Air in my fuel after start up.. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2013, 02:38 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Air in my fuel after start up..

So my efuel system is still acting up.. I turned the pump on today and crawled under the truck to find a fuel leak and it started cavitating (air in the lines at the pump) about 15-20 seconds after I turned it on. I turned it off, waited a few minutes and turned it back on and the same thing, sounds very strong for a few seconds, then air again. The fuel pressure gauge under the hood shows it holding 65is psi, but the needle dances a bit once the cavitation starts. I checked all the joints and an fittings in the system and no leaks, could this be an in tank problem or... gulp... a problem at the injectors letting air in? I really hope its not the latter, but I dont see how air entering the system AFTER the pump can cause cavitation at the pump. soo lost here
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2013, 03:13 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I don't see air getting in at the injectors.
I'd think an in tank issue or maybe at your selector valve.
Old 03-30-2013, 04:09 PM

if the breech were outside the tank, wouldnt there be a fuel leak at the same spot? What should I be looking for if I go inside the tanks?
Old 03-30-2013, 04:44 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I'm not entirely sure on the OBS pickup assemblies, but for SD 7.3s and 6.0s, they would crack and let air in when the tank got low on fuel.
Old 03-30-2013, 07:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

there should be a screen on the end of the pickup tube inside the tank they are known to break
Old 03-31-2013, 12:45 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have had the tank pickup fall off (common problem with the pickups on these trucks) which caused the truck to suck air when the tank still showed 1/2 full. But I'd expect the cavitation would go away when you switched tanks (unless they both had fallen off?) or if you fill the tank full...where they break is somewhere around 1/2 full if I recall right.
Old 04-10-2013, 03:17 PM

my problem is with both tanks no matter where the fuel level is, you can hear it start sucking air after about 10 seconds of the pump being on, engine running or not. Actually got stranded on the highway last weekend, lucky enough I coasted down an off ramp and into an autozone parking lot when the fuel pump gave out!!
Old 04-11-2013, 04:35 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Is there a way you can split the problem? for example, could you rig up a system to run a hose from a bucket of clean diesel to the pump in order to prove that your pump and system forward is working (it should run fine "out of the bucket"). If it still sucks air, you know your lines, selector switch and tanks are not the issue (and vice versa). I know it takes a little "doing" to wire up something temporary like this...but it seems the only other way is to tear into the tanks and selector switch strategically.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.