OBS E-fuel problem, cavitation!! How do I get the air out? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2013, 06:01 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
OBS E-fuel problem, cavitation!! How do I get the air out?

The superduty fuel pump on my efuel system cavitates from the time you turn it on until the time you turn it off, engine running or not. It started when I changed the fuel filters out last summer, then about 200 miles later the pump burnt out. I replaced the pump but the cavitation issue is still there. When I replaced the filters I filled both filters with fuel before installing them..

The efuel system I built consists of a 30 micron filter into a superduty electronic pump into a 3 micron filter. The regulator is mounted to the intake and there is no fuel bowl. Fuel pressure is set at 65 via a dial on the regulator... I dont know what it is while driving cause my girlfriend refuses to ride under the hood to watch the gauge

Is there something I have to do when I change the filters or open the fuel system to purge or bleed it of air other than filling the filters? Would running another fuel pump after the 3 micron filter help get rid of the air by creating a stronger suction bringing the fuel out of the tanks?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2013, 06:21 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I would say tee in a vacuum gauge before the pump. On stock superduty spec would be no more than 7 in. Maybe it is sucking too hard and burning pump out. Other thing would be put clear line on return and see how many air bubbles are coming through, maybe its sucking are from somewhere. If there is a restriction too great for the pump check and be sure filter is no clogged, tank doesn't have dirt and all lines for kinks.
Old 03-27-2013, 06:26 PM

The pump ran great for the summer after I did the efuel, so I dont think its a problem with the pump now sucking to hard... and the cavitation is very very easy to hear. Thats a great idea with the clear line on the return, Ill visit my local hydraulic hose guy tomorrow and see if he has anything I can use on the pressure side to find out where the air is getting into the system. I should be able to narrow it down from a problem in the tank to a problem at the filter/pump.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.