bleeding fuel lines after head gasket replace - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2013, 06:50 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation bleeding fuel lines after head gasket replace

Hey fellas i used the search button and read and read but didnt run across anything about head removal and replace involving cracking fuel lines and bleeding.

Anyway i had to pull my head to get a glow plug out and everything is back together and no leaks, i have preassure at the schrader valve(however its spelled) and cant figure how to crack open the lines and bleed at the head. It has new plugs, new injector orings(yes they are installed correctly hard to mess that up, all injectors are seated correctly), new fuel bowl, new fuel filter, fresh fuel, good glow plug relay, starter kicks engine fine, before installing new plugs cranked engine to purge oil from doing injector orings, zero burnt connectors for plugs or injectors, new fuel lines in valley, fuel in filter bowl.

I havent yet checked the actual pressure with a guage but i cranked and bled air from the valve and repeated till a strong shot of fuel came out and now no air but only fuel. I know i have pressure there just not sure how much(do i need a liquid filled guage to get a reading on that or could i use a tire preassure stick guage. I dont see how a stick guage could give me a good reading but it may).

Anyway ive been cranking and giving small(very small) mists or dusts of starting fluid at the intake not in as to not over do it and it kicks the engine but it wont run cause there isnt fuel at the injectors. Brand new fuel bowl and again no leaks as well as there is fuel in the tank i am using. It is selected to the rear tank right now and i did drop the tanks to clean them(sat for 5 years under previous owner). Before i did i blew the lines back to the tank. After i did this of course i read not to put preassurised air to the switch valve between tanks but i select rear and it shows fuel so it should be good right.

Anyway done rambeling just trying to let yall know where im at any input is appreciated, do i just need to keep cranking this thing. As a side note truck did sit for 5 years with no cranks or runs on it. I replaced all the wiring with a good set of harnesses but would the sensors go bad while just sitting like that or the idm? I plan to buy the swamps idm but before spending the money wanted to crank it to make sure it ran alright.

Last edited by That Other Guy; 03-25-2013 at 08:05 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2013, 11:38 AM

No one has any respone or ideas here, ive checked everything i know, no leaks, HPOP resevoir is full, oil level is full, injectors were fully seated when installed, all lines connected, zero burnt connectors or harnesses, fresh fuel in tank, fresh fuel in filter bowl, filter bowl stays full, fuel pressure at schrader valve(tells me pump is pumping).

Only thing i havnt checked is the IDM or any sensors as all these were good when the truck was parked after the wreak from PO because after wreak truck was still running they had to shiut it off. Could these items have gone bad from sitting for 5 years in a field without starting? Again no chewed wires as i have replaced all harnesses.
Old 03-26-2013, 04:16 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Does your wait to start light come on? Have you taken the high pressure line off the left head plugged the line then try cranking the engine. How much oil pressure do you have at this line. I am assuming this is a 7.3 PSD
Old 03-28-2013, 03:56 PM

Yes sir wait to start comes on and cycles off after it should, i have good oil pressure, HPOP resevoir is full, oil level is full, oil is new and proper weight, i have fresh fuel in tank, fresh fuel in filter bowl and its full, fresh filter, brand new batteries, brand new glow plugs, driver VC gasket is new and both UVCH's, zero burnt wires, GP relay operates proper.

Only thing is im gonna test swapping IDM's with the neighbors truck and while cranking tach shows no RPM though with fresh batts with CC amps at 850 a piece it spins like crazy. I read and am gonna do more reading on it but from what i got out of it is that means the CPS is bad. Again i am gonna do more reading about it.

While i crank no smoke or vapor as some call it comes out so its not injecting fuel. From what ive read this could be due to the IPR being bad and not sending signal to the IDM, the IDM being bad not telling injectors to fire, or bad CPS not sending signal to the computer telling it the engine is turning and thus not firing injectors.

Im gonna test the sensors to see what Ohms they pull and see if they are bad after i swap IDMs.

Thoughts?
Old 03-29-2013, 08:08 AM
Hee Hee, he's doing it...

[EDIT]Do not add starting fluid to the intake with the GPR still functioning. Disable the GPR!!!

Find 34 & 49 in this pic (about top just left of centered). These two lines are the fuel return lines from the heads back to the fuel bowl. Crack them at parts 51 & 52 and have someone watch the lines as you crank the engine to stop you when fuel starts coming out of them. Tighten them back up. Fuel supply should be bled enough for the engine to start but it will run poorly for the next ten minutes or so.

It does sound like your CPS has taken a dump. Easy swap and always carry a 10mm wrench/socket and a backup in the glove box. These things are known to just die. Check all your fuses under the hood especially 22.

Last edited by BigFuel; 03-29-2013 at 12:04 PM.
Old 03-29-2013, 09:19 AM

Ill check those today when i can get a chance(daycare informed us yesterday they will be closed today so im watching the baby girl and cant work on it). As far as the starter fluid i dont spray a bunch in there as i dont like doing that with any engine but rather just dust or mist the intake and let the vapors kick it but if used again i will disable the GPR.

I tried picking up a CPS yesterday but parts house cant even special order it so im off to the ford stealership to bend over for that, i wont be able to tell if the IPR is bad till the engine is running and it would make it run rough correct? From my understanding this can either cause rough or erratic idle and running or no start. The ICP(sensor) could cause a no start correct?

Is my understanding correct that the CPS can cause a no start?
Old 03-29-2013, 09:27 AM

Today's a Gov. Holiday. The CPS is what the PCM used to tell it that the motor is turning. If it doesn't see that you get a shut down or no start. The IPR helps make the oil pressure that fires the injectors, the ICP monitors and directs the IPR. Pull the plugs off the IPR and ICP and look for oil in them. If there is oil the the senders are generally bad.

Last edited by BigFuel; 03-29-2013 at 12:06 PM.
Old 03-29-2013, 10:24 AM

Everything is clean and all plugs are connected with die electric grease after being cleaned with electric connector cleaner. There wasnt any residue in any of the plugs though that i can remember.

Thats what ive been leaning to as far as no crank is the CPS isnt sending the signal to the computer telling it the engine is turning and to send the proper signals to the IDM to fire injectors.

Thanks for the input bub i appreciate it greatly and i will be heading to the ford house shortly to pick up a CPS.

Ill post up if it cranks and again thanks for yalls input.
Old 03-29-2013, 10:49 AM

Good thing the FLAPS didn't have the CPS. Aftermarket are junk. Dealer is not that expensive for the CPS. If you have an International dealer nearby, it may be cheaper there.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:07 PM

2nd International
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.