Odd, uneven idle problem at startup - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2013, 03:58 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Odd, uneven idle problem at startup

I just bought another Powerstroke. It is a 1997, with 319,000 miles. This is the 16th, 7.3 I have owned, but, it has a problem I have not seen before.
At startup, hot or cold, the idle is uneven for about 20 or 30 seconds. It goes from regular idle RPM down to "almost dies" RPM, then bounces right back up to regular idle speed. Does this repeatedly for about 20 or 30 seconds, then it smooths right out. If I give it a little throttle at startup, it will run smooth during startup, until I let it go back to idle.
Again, this only happens on startup, not during driving or at stop lights etc.
Otherwise, truck runs great. I drove it 100 miles to bring it home, all at around 65 - 70MPH, with no problems.
I don't think this is related, but it needs a glow plug relay most likely. The wait to start light goes off after only about 5 seconds every time you start the truck. It should be on longer than that in cold wet weather.
What is causing this.
Thanks,
Jeff
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2013, 07:25 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

If this an automatic, does it do it if you start it in neutral? Just a note on the Wait-to-Start light: The length of time it is on has nothing to do with when the plugs are actually on (watch your voltage gauge as that will basically tell you when the plugs are on). Cheers!
Old 03-23-2013, 07:52 PM

It is an automatic. I will try cranking it up in neutral and see what happens. Will report back here.
Yes, I forgot all about that wait-to start light versus voltage draw, for checking how long the glow plugs are on. Thanks for reminding me about that.
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Feeley View Post
If this an automatic, does it do it if you start it in neutral? Just a note on the Wait-to-Start light: The length of time it is on has nothing to do with when the plugs are actually on (watch your voltage gauge as that will basically tell you when the plugs are on). Cheers!
Old 03-24-2013, 09:28 AM

Ok, today I started the truck in neutral. It idles fine when started in neutral.
So, what advice do you have for me??
Any help appreciated.
Jeff
Old 03-24-2013, 05:08 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Usually the fix (I've never had this problem myself ... just from my times on the forums) is replacement of the Transmission Range Sensor on the transmission. Cheers!
Old 03-26-2013, 05:18 PM

Patrick,
Thank you for that info. I am going to see about replacing that part next week. My son is going to fix it next week. He was a Ford mechanic at one time, but he never worked on any of the Powerstrokes at the big dealership he worked in. He said that this should be an easy fix.
Thanks again.
Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.