drone sound 1500-2000 rpm - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2013, 05:21 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to thisoldtruck2
drone sound 1500-2000 rpm

hello all, did some searching and haven't found anyone having this problem, got a 96 f250 psd 4wd with 5 speed, 207k on clock, all stock, intake is intact and all there, got a wierd sound coming from engine compartment in any gear from about 1500-2000 rpm, reguardless of load, which puts it between about 60-70mph in od, kinda sounds like a 4bbl gas motor with no air filter running at full throttle, really annoying for any extended period on highway,if i take it up to 75mph the noise all but dissapears, it will also make the noise revving at a stand still, and if i push clutch in at speed, the noise goes away so i am ruling out the drivetrain, i took the fan off thinking the fan clutch was going out but the noise is still there , runs good and makes good power, so i doubt it's the ebpv, the only thing i can think of is pulling belt off to see if maybe it's an accesory, many thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2013, 07:43 PM

So did you take off the belt? What were the results? If the noise goes away when you push in the clutch going down the road, it doesn't make sense that it does it when the truck is sitting still and you bring up the RPM. I can tell you that a diesel will make a noise that, to me anyway, sounds just like a gas engine with no air cleaner, if you remove the airbox or it sucks air directly rather than through the airbox. Even the old Olds diesel had a real muffler on the intake tract specifically to eliminate this droning. Found out the hard way what that ugly thing was for...
Old 03-22-2013, 12:42 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Send a message via AIM to thisoldtruck2
thanks for reply, no i haven't had time to mess with it, plus it's been cold here, when i said i pushed cutch in on highway i also let the engine idle down at the same time, so what it comes down to is moving or sitting still the noise is there in the 1500-2000 rpm at full or light load. years ago i had a 24v cummins and a duramax, at highway speeds they made a little diesel rattle and you could hear the turbo's underload but were reasonably quiet otherwise, in fairness they were only a few years old when i traded them.
Old 03-23-2013, 05:43 PM
Premium Member

I have the same problem. I'm suspecting drive shaft out of balance. i feel a slight vibration on take off and loud drone 2,000 rpm i can let off the accel. and it goes away instantly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.