SERIOUS SHAKING WHEN DRIVING! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2013, 02:33 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
SERIOUS SHAKING WHEN DRIVING!

I'm pretty sure the shaking im getting is not from my front or carrier in the driveshaft.

Coming down a hill in gear last thursday my truck just started shavking violent but tracked straight for the most part. Dodged through traffic pulled off onto a side street and checked my front end over. Tie roads tight, etc. Drove home down the highway and no vibrations or shaking. Dropped the girlfriend off and then my truck just started to hiss sorta or make a sound like I flicked my exhaust brake on. Turned the truck off and looked around inside. Didn't notice anything to much, started truck back up. Hard brakes no steering. Turns out my belt tensioner broke loose. Got new one and new bolts as the damn bolt snapped off inside. Thought I was all good and drove the truck yesterday. No problems. This morning, no problems. This afternoon, started shaking like crazy. Pulled off to the side ( I was probably doing about 60km/h 4th) Popped the hood, tensioner is fine and so is belt. Obviously the shaking broke my belt tensioner then last week. Turned around to go home.. 3 times in roughly 35minutes it acted up and started shaking. I slow down lots or stop and it clears up. Usually around 50-65km/h this happens. Could it actually be death wobble? I don't see how that would snap my belt tensioner though.

Dual Mass Fly Wheel?
Front end issue?
Drive shaft?
Axles?
Balancing tires/ drive shaft?
Steady Bearing, Carrier?
Motor issue?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2013, 12:08 AM

I forgot to mention its 1996 F350 powerstroke 5speed 4x4 240,000km 4door longbox. 35's .
Old 03-20-2013, 12:42 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

First, you gotta isolate whether it's the powertrain or the drivetrain. When it happens, shift to neutral and see if it persists.

Is it a 4x4 truck? Do you have the hubs locked (if they're manual hubs)?
Old 03-21-2013, 10:00 AM

Yup, it's a 4x4. Hubs are unlocked. Did it to me again yesterday.. just driving down the road and whole truck just started shaking like crazy for a few seconds. Maybe 2-3secs.
Old 03-21-2013, 02:59 PM

Shook again hard on me this afternoon. Driving down side street. 4th gear. Let it shake while I fought with the stick to get it into neutral. Kept shaking slowed the truck down. So now I think it's the motor more than front end or tranny or drive shaft.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:03 PM

Outside of the obvious bouncing around, does the engine seem to RUN ok when the truck starts shaking around? If putting it in neutral today didn't change things, I'd be most interested to know if there was any change if you let off the loud pedal or press harder? If it doesn't change with RPM, it isn't the engine.
Old 03-21-2013, 10:30 PM

It starts up fine... idles fine. I can drive it around town for ahwile then spontaneously.. it will just go into a siezure. I dont know how else to explain the shake. It just starts shaking like crazy for a few seconds and hard! Im giving it to a shop on monday ive decided. This is waaay outta capability to deal with.
Old 03-21-2013, 10:35 PM

If it kept shaking after shifting to neutral, then it probably is NOT the powertrain. If you can find the opportunity, drive it around until it happens, then put the clutch in and shut off the engine. Then engine movement is completely out of the picture. If the shaking persists, it's gotta be the drivetrain, or steering/suspension. Loose steering component, brake hanging up, driveshaft balance issue, could be about anything. You just gotta think through, then, what would manifest itself after driving a while....
Old 03-21-2013, 10:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Re: SERIOUS SHAKING WHEN DRIVING!

Could be death wobble. Check your steering stabilizer. Happened to me on a 1997 f350 4x4 dually flatbed I've got.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 03-22-2013, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crainracing90 View Post
...death wobble...
Ah, that's the buzz-phrase I couldn't remember....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.