I have a 95 Super Duty with a HPOP Reservoir leak - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2013, 08:39 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I have a 95 Super Duty with a HPOP Reservoir leak

This truck is about to drive me insane. In may of 2007 I lost the engine in this old girl and replaced it with a rebuild engine from ford. After about 2000 miles I noticed engine oil dripping off the back side of the oil pan. Thinking it was the oil pan gasket I replaced it and took the truck on a service call. When I returned I had lost 3 quarts of oil and it was dripping of the back of the oil pan. This service call was about 40 miles total so the leak was bad. I removed the hood and closely inspected the engine and noticed the oil was collecting in the valley underneath the intake and was coming from The High Pressure Oil pump reservoir so I pulled that off and replace the rubber gasket on the high pressure side of the reservoir. there are two different gaskets on these engines to my knowledge and mine is the one that takes the half gasket with gasket sealer on the low pressure side. Since that time I have replaced this gasket 7 more times only to have it start leaking within just a few miles, once it never left the shop before it was leaking again. I have replaced the IPR on the high pressure pump and the IPC sensor on the drivers side front of the head. The last time I had it in the shop I replaced the PCM because I had a crank no/start condition and that cured the no start problem but this haunting oil leak returned. Please help Im about ready to buy a cummins and do a conversion on this truck. I use this truck all the time to make service calls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2013, 07:43 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Did the new motor come with the reservoir and front cover? Could it be leaking at the reservoir to front cover joint? Cheers!
Old 03-20-2013, 07:47 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yes the new motor came with the front cover and reservoir and yes it is leaking at the reservoir to front cover joint. It seems to blow a small passage in the gasket right where the o-ring ends and the sealant begins. I have even tried making a gasket for this side and it lasts a little longer but in the end it starts leaking in the same place. I also had the mating surface machined on the cover to make sure it wasn't warped and I thought that cured the leak but it came back in about 300 miles.
Old 03-20-2013, 01:20 PM

Are you sure that the new motor is has an early front cover and reservoir and not the later revised ones with the built-in standpipe? Just thought I'd ask. Cheers!
Old 03-20-2013, 02:47 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

No both the front cover and the reservoir are not the one for the built in stand pipe in the reservoir. I tried to replace the reservoir with one out of a 97 but when I compared them I discovered that the newer model reservoir was the one with the built in standpipe.
Old 03-20-2013, 05:16 PM

What sealant are you using? Ifyou are not using the Motorcraft TA-31, I would try that. Here's the part numbers for the sealants used on the PSD:

Sealant (Wacker)
Intake Plenums: Motorcraft TA-30 (used to be Ford part F7AZ-19554-EA)
Everything else (oil pan, etc): Motorcraft TA-31 (used to be Ford part F5TZ-19G204-AB)

Cheers!
Old 03-21-2013, 04:02 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have tried several different sealants. I used silicon the first time and a different brand of silicon the second time. Next I tried Caterpillar red, then Permatex #2. Have never tried Motorcraft TA-31 but I'm game might as well give it a try.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:44 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The only other thing I noticed is when this truck is running occasionally the CEL will come on and go right back off but it throws no codes
Old 03-22-2013, 12:08 PM

The TA-31 is very good stuff. It may not fix your problem, but if both surfaces are true and clean, you should get about as good of a seal as you can get with it. Cheers!
Old 03-25-2013, 09:37 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I got the new sealant today from Ford and will post if it cures my leak
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.