Can this short a CPS - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2013, 11:11 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to mpdxtreme
Can this short a CPS

I was wondering if a short to ground of the UVCH could cause the CPS to go bad? Just wondering if they are connected somehow.

James Gaddy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2013, 11:30 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I would seriously doubt it. Cheers!
Old 03-12-2013, 05:29 PM

Re: Can this short a CPS

OK well I replaced the CPS anyway and still no start. I am at wits end right now.

James G
Old 03-13-2013, 09:38 AM

Which wire shorted to ground?

Does the WTS light come on? Does the tach move while cranking? Did you TEST ALL fuses in BOTH fuse boxes?
Old 03-13-2013, 10:54 AM

I checked all the fuses inside and outside, several times. The tach does move when cranking but it doesnt move much, but it does move. The WTS light does come on and there isnt a CEL on. The oil pressure does come up while its cranking. I pulled the plug on top of the HPOP and it was within 1/4 in on the top, but I filled it anyway and still no start. The wire that shorted was on the drivers side, front pulg to UVH. It was the front most pin to a glow plug that shorted and also on the inside there was a melted spot. I noticed the smoke almost immediately and as far as I can tell the only damage was at the connector. I have replaced the plug and pigtail and the UVC gasket/harness. When I try to start there is no smoke, white or blue. It just spins.

One other thing that I noticed was that the glow plug relay stayed energized ALL the time. I checked it after 90 sec, 2 min, and 3 min and it was still on. I think the GPR is bad even though its brand new.

At this point I am open to any suggestions or ideas so please let me know.

Greg G

I will have a scanner this afternoon, SnapOn MT2500 with the right software so I am going to hook it up and see what it tells me.
Old 03-13-2013, 11:38 AM

Since the GP relay seems to be staying on, make sure that the case/base of the relay does not have continuity with the relay's terminals (the relay must be "case isolated" or the GPs will stay on and not turn off). They may have sold you a starter relay. Maybe the relay staying on is causing a low voltage situation (the PCM usually need a minimum voltage)? Check the condition of the fuel bowl wiring harness, especially around the IPR wiring. Check the wiring to the ICP sensor and see if there is any oil in the connection. Cheers!
Old 03-13-2013, 12:02 PM

I am going to double check the GPR tonight with a DVOM (my old Fluke died) and see if it is actually bad. I've checked all the connectors that I can see and get to and none were brittle, corroded, or appeared to be bad connections. Also all the wiring seemed to be in good shape, not soft like from exposure to diesel and oil.

Will the injectors fire with the GPR totally disconnected?

General curosity question: is a regular starter relay not case isolated?

Greg G

Last edited by mpdxtreme; 03-13-2013 at 12:11 PM.
Old 03-13-2013, 03:55 PM

The GPR has nothing to do with the injectors. They'll fire with the GPR disconnected.

It's possible, however, that a short in the UVCH wiring, shorting _from_ the glow plug circuit _to_ the injector circuit, has disabled the injectors. It's possible that that glow plug lead melted and shorted to its adjacent injector lead, internally under the valve cover. That might send a signal back to the IDM that something's wrong, and the IDM might have shut down that whole bank of the engine, or shut down entirely. So you could try this - run the glow plugs for a minute or so, then turn the key OFF, remove the wires to the GPR, then try to start it (hopefully the minute of GP run time will provide enough heat). See if that at least produces some smoke; that will tell you whether taking the glow plugs offline will at least enable the injectors.

A starter relay is NOT case-isolated. Notice that there isn't even a fourth terminal. It grounds the coil circuit through the mounting bolts. Also, a starter relay is not rated for "on" time of more than several seconds; it's not rated either for the current or the duty ("on" time) that is required of a GPR.
Old 03-13-2013, 05:59 PM

OK both UVCH are replaced and I found a brand new Stancor relay in my tool box and that is installed and functioning properly.

I picked up a scan tool this afternoon, Snap-on MT2500 with the Ford software. I hooked it up and after running the tests it says Bank 1 and 2 shorted to ground, also has a p0475 code (forgot what that one is). Did the buzz test and thats when it said short to ground. I am stumped at this point, I just cant seem to figure it out.

Greg G
Old 03-13-2013, 06:42 PM

Are IDM's interchangeable between all 7.3 PSDs?

Greg G
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.