need help with serpentine belt and tensioner - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2013, 07:03 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
need help with serpentine belt and tensioner

Ok I have searched all over the different forums trying to find anyone with a similar problem and I cant.
(95 powerstroke 4X4 5 spd single cab)

Here is my issue. My serpentine belt had been squeaky so I did some research and many said it could just be the belt loosening up. So I removed the belt inspected pullies and all seemed well so I decided to replace the belt. I went to oreillys and asked for a gates belt to fit my truck. Brought it back and installed it. All seemed good. Drove it to town last night ran around a bit and came back home no issues and no squeaks. Decided to do a diy intake on my truck so began working on it tonight and happened to glance over at my new belt. It has a groove worn in it on the edge!? So I began looking for the culprit. So the t-50 torx bolt that holds the tensioner to the block is rubbing the belt. I removed the belt inspected all pullies and wheels again and all looks good and in line. So thought maybe I got the wrong belt. Nope my old belt is the exact same parts number gates belt. So I went to reinstall the old belt and same issue. I have went over the belt routing a million times to make sure it is properly seated per the sticker. And I have tried and don't see any other way to route it. so what happened? neither belt will work and cant find anything loose or out of line. I thought maybe that torx bolt was loose and sticking out further but I tried to loosen or tighten and cant get it to budge either way. I am really confused as to what is going on. I even had my mechanic neighbor come over and look at it to see if I was losing my mind and just hooked something up wrong or had something loose and it stumped him as well. if the belt was a little looser the tensioner would rock down low enough the belt would miss the bolt. im also wondering if this Is the original factory bolt because it sticks out pretty decent ways. if anyone can get a pick of there similar model trucks tensioner and bolt it would be appreciated.

thanks guys and sorry for the long post on something that should be quite simple but its driving me crazy

any help would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2013, 11:29 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Takea good hard look at the tensioner. When they go bad they will cant sideways a bit causing the problem similar to what you describe. The tensioner torx bolt can be a real PITA due to corrosion. I snapped one #50 bit trying to get the factory bolt off my 97. Ended up using a better quality Craftsman bit (sort of a socket with a hardened bit) and a breaker bar to get it loose (the thring "cracked" like a head bolt). Cheers!
Old 03-12-2013, 05:30 PM

Well ended up being the tensioner. It had slightly separated causing bolt to hit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.