Blue Smoke...Help? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2013, 04:49 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Blue Smoke...Help?

I've got blue smoke coming out of my exhaust, but its not consistent.

Truck is a 2000 F250 7.3l ZF6, 92k on the clock, extended cab short bed with a few bolt-on mods:
Edge Evolution level 2
MBRP 4" turbo-back exhaust
RiffRaff's 6637 intake, HPx, FRx (+10psi spring) & CCV

Saturday afternoon I re-routed the CCV so I wouldn't get the smell or wisps of smoke. I had it routed along the frame until where it turns up at the tank/rear axle. Decided to add an air/water separator from an air compressor inline and route it back to the intake. I used the 3/4" oil/fuel hose the riffraff supplies with their kit that I had previously installed (possibly kinked?). Cranked it up Saturday night and drove 40 miles. About halfway through, a car got behind me and I noticed some smoke. I pulled over and checked under the hood, but didn't see anything out of the ordinary. When I climbed back in the cab, I noticed the entire parking lot looked like it had been fumigated. I checked everything the next morning and no leaks and all fluids are at the normal level. Drove it Sunday for a bit and it would start smoking (this is when I noticed it was blue), I parked it to run in the store it would smoke a bunch when started back up. Left the store & got on it pulling onto the highway and it left a cloud of blue smoke thick enough to slow traffic. Drove another 40 miles and this time it would have a faint amount of smoke while cruising or accelerating (to the point I didn't always see it), but would fumigate as soon as I let off after accelerating.

Sorry for the long description, wanted to be as thorough as possible. I've done some reading online and I'm leaning towards injector o-rings or turbo seals. However, the fuel bowl & down pipe are both clean. Any other ideas? How do I go about testing them or do you just replace them with fingers crossed?
Attached Thumbnails
Blue Smoke...Help?-2013-03-10_22-12-44_243.jpg   Blue Smoke...Help?-2013-03-10_22-13-20_672.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2013, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurch830 View Post
Saturday afternoon I re-routed the CCV so I wouldn't get the smell or wisps of smoke. I had it routed along the frame until where it turns up at the tank/rear axle. Decided to add an air/water separator from an air compressor inline and route it back to the intake.
If the smoking started after you made this change, this IS the source of oil that burns and generates the smoke.
Old 03-11-2013, 04:40 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

make sure there are no kinks in your new line, i did the same thing this week and had a few kinks i didnt think anything of, due to the increase in pressure my valve covers started leaking, blowing white smoke under medium acceleration, im sure i have something else going on but after i got the kinks in the ccv line straightend out she stopped smoking as so thats got to be something
Old 03-13-2013, 03:49 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I converted it back to stock and drove it another 15 miles. It smoked when I cranked it, but eventually went away to all but a wisp when I revved it in the driveway after I got back home. Only time will tell I guess & I'll put a few more miles on it in a couple of weeks to keep checking. I think I'll count myself as lucky and probably not go back with the CCV for a while.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:15 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Fast forward to this weekend and I go to fire it up...heard running water while I was waiting for the glow plugs to heat up. Turned the key off and looked under it; diesel fuel was leaking under the truck from between the motor & bellhousing like it was on tap! Popped the hood and the valley was soaked, seemed to be more on the passenger side than the driver side. I'm thinking I need to rebuild the fuel bowl with new o-rings. I'm gonna check it tonight with somebody else turning the key so I can get a good look. Any other suggestions/ideas for what it might be?
Old 03-26-2013, 03:37 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Turns out it was the fuel filter cap gasket (previous owner replaced with Purolator brand). Had a Motorcraft brand filter & cap on the shelf, replaced with OEM stuff and seems like everything is good to go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.