batteries - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2013, 11:46 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
batteries

my truck turns over but would not start so I towed it to the mechanics who said the batteries were needing to go. it cranks but needs a boost jump to start from the charger to start. the mechanic said it needs a little more voltage to crank it to get the oil presure up at the injecters to allow the injecters to work. I have never heard of this before but could be? anyone have this problem or am i getting the runaround? I cleaned my cable ends and have it on charge for now as I cant afford new batteries right now as I havent been able to work due to fighting cancer so all info is greatly appriciated, Thanks Tom S.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2013, 11:48 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Possibly. You need a lot of power to overcome diesel compression.
If you will get the batteries load tested, and they come up bad, you probably need new ones.
Old 03-10-2013, 07:43 PM

If a car comes in with issues and I know it has a bad battery that is what I will replace prior to checking out any other issues. A faulty battery can cause quite a few problems.
Old 03-11-2013, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshideler View Post
my truck turns over but would not start so I towed it to the mechanics who said the batteries were needing to go. it cranks but needs a boost jump to start from the charger to start. the mechanic said it needs a little more voltage to crank it to get the oil presure up at the injecters to allow the injecters to work. I have never heard of this before but could be? anyone have this problem or am i getting the runaround? I cleaned my cable ends and have it on charge for now as I cant afford new batteries right now as I havent been able to work due to fighting cancer so all info is greatly appriciated, Thanks Tom S.
Yeah, unfortunately I have heard that before. These injectors require a lot of power to even attempt to start. Just because you can spin it doesn't mean its spinning fast enough for the injectors to fire. Chances are if it starts with a booster pack, then with new batterys will fix the issue.

Have someone toss your battery on a load tester just to be sure.
Old 03-11-2013, 12:20 PM
Chapter Director

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Yes the injectors use the pressure the hpop builds to pressurize the upper cavity of the injector which then transfers the high oil pressure to the lower fuel cavity via a small piston to the tune of about 26000 psi so you need a lot of umpf to get the pressure that high
Old 03-11-2013, 12:39 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I just went through the same issues and i changed both battiers. What a diffrence it made in how much better it runs.
Old 03-11-2013, 02:09 PM

batteries

Yeah same thing happened to my truck. But i ended up having to do injector o rings also.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 03-11-2013, 02:15 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

i had the same problem, two optima batteries that were 8 months old. Had them load tested and both failed, one put out 200 cranking amps and one put out 8. I knew something had to kill these batteries so i tested the alternator. It was bad also, I did all the work myself and only spent $330. Now she cranks so easy, its a world of difference.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.