Need some help here - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2013, 04:23 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to mpdxtreme
Need some help here

My truck is a 96 F250 7.3. All stock except for AFE intake and MBRP exhasut.

Few weeks ago the exhaust leak where the up-pipes go into the turbo adapter got to the point that it was making me sick to drive the truck for more than a hour or so at a time. Also I had a bad EBP leak. Took the turbo, up pipes, and pedestal off. Cut the pedestal down and had it TIG welded to eliminate the EBP valve. Ordered the new high dollar bellowed up pipes from International, and the new piece that the down pipe hooks up. And also all the assiciated O rings and bolts.

Been working on it for a few weeks, jst a little here and there. Finally got it all back together tonight and now it will not start. Before I started this it ran like a champ. It will spin but its acting like its not getting any fuel. It will spin but there is no white smoke like when its cold and I forget to plug it in. While trying to start it it shook like it wanted to start but then the batteries started going down so I hooked up the charger and came inside before I got upset.

Anyone have any ideas of things to check? I went back over all the connections and they all appear to be hooked up. Crawling all over the motor one can un plug stuff by accident.

Thanks

Greg G
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2013, 06:29 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Wait-To-Starlight coming on? How's the main oil level? Make sure the fuel bowl harness is connected and the IPR is connected (if you messed with the fuel bowl at all). Cheers!
Old 03-04-2013, 06:31 PM

Lots of places you can check that's true. Maybe start with the UVCH plugs, the fuel bowl heater and wiring plus use an ohm meter to check fuse 22. From what I've read on this board and others, it never hurts to swap the CPS.
Old 03-04-2013, 07:49 PM

OK couldnt stand my truck not starting after its all back together so I went back out and messed around some more. I turned the key forward and went under the hood to check some connestions and see if I had power. I kept hearing a sizzling noise and I noticed some smoke from one of the UVCH conectors, drivers side front (closest to radiator). Killed the power and pulled the connector and the plastic around the first and last pin was melted looking and one of the pins, the one that gets power was gone. Cut back the wiring loom and inspected the wires and it appears that its only the connector thats trashed, I was so afraid I had let the smoke out of the wires. Unplugged the connectors and then turned the key back on and checked my glow plug relay. I had power across both terminals for a LONG time, I checked it after about 5 minutes and still had power at both terminals. The glow plug relay is NEW. I installed it while we were waiting on parts, its the Vato Zone special so it might be bad. Maybe the UVCH shorted out, not sure. At least I have a starting point, I think.

The connector that is melted is that the one for the glow plugs and can it still be had new?

Greg G
Old 03-04-2013, 07:53 PM

I'm sorry, all the correct lights are coming on, the oil is full, and I didnt mess with the fuel bowl, I fixed all those leaks a couple of years ago.

Greg G
Old 03-04-2013, 08:24 PM

Sounds like you found the problem Greg. Replace those connectors/wiring/etc. and you are likely good to go. My big boots get me in trouble sometimes too.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:09 PM

The older I get the more my fat a$$ gets in the way. I am going to start with the gaskets and connectors and go from there. Figured since I have to do one, I might as well do both since they are the same age and have a little seepage.

I'll post up when I get it all done and let everyone know what all I had to replace and fix

GREg G
Old 03-05-2013, 07:43 AM

Make sure that the relay you got is a CASE ISOLATED relay. If the case is the grounded type, the glowplugs will not shut off (the glowplugs should not be getting juice after 5 minutes). Cheers!
Old 03-05-2013, 12:26 PM

Explain "case isolated?" The one I have is the one the parts guy at Vato Zone gave me. It looks like the others I have gotten inthe past.

They were still on after 5 minutes so I am pretty sure this one is bad. With the plug being bad, can this cause the relay to stay energized all the time? Gonna take it off and try and return it but if not I am going back to NAPA or maybe order the Stancor one.

Greg G
Old 03-06-2013, 11:42 AM

None of the terminals on the relay should have continuity with the metal portion (bottom) of the relay. Cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.