1997 Layed down on me. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2013, 06:57 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
1997 Layed down on me.

Ok guys,

I have a 1997 F-3450 RCLB with a 5spd 4x4 with 279k miles on it. When I first got it, it was sluggish, but ran fine. Changed EBPS with a new ford OEM one and cleaned tube. After that ran fine, but I did not think it was up to its potential. But the injectors and HPOP are stock, so whatever. Bought a Edge CS for gauges, truck is not tuned, and all parameters seem to be normal, other than I have low boost, and ebps sticks around 1-3 no matter what.

Fast forward to today. I drive to town and leaving story, my 2-3 shift there was a slight hesitation in throttle, but it was so quick I thought that I imagined it. Away I went. about 3 miles down the road cruising at 55 it sounds like my motor turned off and CEL pops up. It got real quiet and I started losing speed. Coast 70 yards to driveway and pulled off. Entire time I still had steering and brakes, and when I came to a stop the motor was idling like normal. I get out and do a quick visual inspection and pop the hood. Nothing abnormal. Get in the truck and rev it up to 1200 a few times and nice and normal. Put my foot in it and it goes nicely to 2200 RPM and stops. No hesitation or stutter or bucking. Just a nice flow through rpms to 2200 and then stops increasing. It felt like it was designed to do that. White/Blue smoke from tailpipe. Decide to turn it off, and restart and evaluate. Cranks back up with No CEL and give her a rev and away she goes to 3200 RPM and I let my foot off. 3 miles from home so I take it home, and damn if it dont feel like it has the balls I thought it should. Runs through RPMS ranges like a champ. Get home and drive it around with no CEL.

Naturally, my Edge CS is on the a new truck I just got over the weekend as I needed to pull some codes, so I wasnt able to read any data while this happened or pull the code. I will be putting Edge on in 5 minutes to see if it stored the code and will report back. Just looking for insight.

While I am here, I am thinking that perhaps when I fixed the EBPS and tube, that the EBPV never fully opened. Then today while coming home it for some reason shut on me and got stuck there causing the truck to lay down. When I restarted it decided to fully open, as it should since truck was at operating temp, and that is why it is running better. Am I far off in left field with this theory? Also, outside temp here in florida was around 52 at the time of incident.

Thanks. Sorry so long. This is my DD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2013, 07:25 AM

1997 Layed down on me.

Pulled P0236 and P1211

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 03-04-2013, 07:40 AM

1997 Layed down on me.

This things is definately running better than before the CEL was thrown. Here i will try and add some screen shots of cs...

Old 03-04-2013, 07:42 AM

1997 Layed down on me.

1997 Layed down on me.-imageuploadedbyag-free1362415299.648525.jpg

At idle

1997 Layed down on me.-imageuploadedbyag-free1362415349.136022.jpg

Around 2800 rpm

Attached Thumbnails
1997 Layed down on me.-imageuploadedbyag-free1362415260.745469.jpg  
Old 03-04-2013, 07:46 AM
Hee Hee, he's doing it...

First code is a faulty EBPS signal. The other is faulty IPR signal. Both of these senders are really close to each other so look at the wiring between the two for damage (maybe mouse). With the EBPS sending bad or no signal to the PCM the PCM freaks out and will start opening and closing the EBPV to try and get a change in signal from the sender. When you cleaned the EBPS tube a while back did you shove a rod back into the port that the tube spins on to on the manifold? That can soot up too causing no change at the sender.
Old 03-04-2013, 07:50 AM

1997 Layed down on me.

No. I did not mess with manifold adapter. Didnt want to shove anything in there. Thing is, once its been restarted it is running absolutely better than it ever has. Like i thought i should months ago after i cleaned ebps and tube. Ive had a few of these and this has been the doggiest one yet. Now it is running great. Cleared codes and have not returned.

Old 03-04-2013, 07:50 AM

1997 Layed down on me.

But i will inspect wires.

Old 03-04-2013, 07:52 AM

For ****s and giggles get a new rubber hose for the MAP sensor.
Old 03-04-2013, 07:54 AM

Looking at your IPR % kinda scares me too. I'm assuming that these readings are in your driveway and not on the road. If this is in your driveway your IPR is reporting that it is using half of its ability to maintain pressure with no load on the motor.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:00 AM

1997 Layed down on me.

Yes in driveway. Before this happened. Cruising at 2000 rpms my ipr was 18-20. Depending on hills and stuff. Icp would be between 800-1100 again depending on hills and stuff.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.