95 7.3 Check Engine Light and Dead Accelerator - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2013, 06:24 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
95 7.3 Check Engine Light and Dead Accelerator

Engine will start fine and idle great but go and try to give it gas and the check engine light will come on and the accelerator pedal will be dead.

The Check Engine light will not come on until I start to give it gas. Then after a few tries I can get it go actually go somewhere but then it will come up again with the check engine light and dead pedal.

I know I have a vacuum leak and need to replace my belt driven brake booster because the brake light will come on at times because of this. Don' know if they are related or if anyone has any ideas on if it is a sensor or something else? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2013, 06:53 AM

You need to get a code reader and see what codes are coming up. A dead pedal is indicitive of the limp mode. It could be something as simple as the TPS but only retrieving the code will confirm the fault.
The Following User Says Thank You to englewoodcowboy For This Useful Post:
Freebird (11-24-2013)
Old 03-04-2013, 08:20 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Thanks, what is a good code reader to get. I have seen really expensive ones and really cheap one's are there any decent ones that will not break the bank? TPS is the throttle position sensor I am assuming correct? Thanks for the help!
Old 03-04-2013, 09:27 AM

Most local part stores will read it for free if you can get it to one. If not, see if a friend has a superchips tuner, they will read codes as well. And you are correct, TPS is Throttle Position Sensor and if the computer can't see where it is, it will not allow you to apply throttle.
Freebird (11-24-2013)
Old 03-04-2013, 09:29 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Awesome! Thanks so much for the help. I sure hope it is that simple. Is the TPS located inside on the Gas Pedal assembly itself then or somewhere else. Thanks once again!
Old 03-04-2013, 09:39 AM

I am not certain on an OBS truck. I would assume it is throttle by wire like all of the electronic injected engines but I could be wrong. If it is, I think it will be on the pedal assembly. In all reality there are not many sensors on the 7.3 that are necessary to make it run. It could also be the cam position sensor but again, a code retrieval will narrow your search greatly.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:51 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Awesome! Thanks for the quick replies. I know I replaced the CPS about 4 years ago it was causing the truck to be sitting at an idle and then just randomly die. I know that was a quick and easy fix so I bet you are correct in assuming TPS. Thanks for all the help, much appreciated!!!
Old 03-04-2013, 10:46 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

There is no throttle on a diesel engine. The pedal position sensor is on the pedal. There's no cable because there's nothing to mechanically control. There is also an idle validation switch which should close with minimal pedal movement. The engine will stay at idle until that switch closes, even if the position sensor shows movement. The CE light is probably the PCM detecting pedal movement in the position sensor, but the idle switch still being open.

You can measure the position sensor resistance and the idle switch continuity with an ohmmeter if you can't get a scanner on it to read them as "data". Idle switch is very easy - it should read open / infinite resistance with the pedal at rest, and closed / continuity with a little pedal pressure.
The Following User Says Thank You to madpogue For This Useful Post:
Freebird (11-24-2013)
Old 03-04-2013, 11:03 AM

See there, didn't even know there were two sensors on the pedal assembly. Let us know what you find out.

Good luck!
Freebird (11-24-2013)
Old 03-04-2013, 11:58 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Great! Thank you for all the help and info!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.