UVHC Under valve Cover Gasket rough running right after start up doesnt stop. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2013, 12:28 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
UVHC Under valve Cover Gasket rough running right after start up doesnt stop.

JUST A LESSONS LEARNED NO FURTHER PROBLEMS

Hey just had to replace my UVHC. Napa carries the part and there all over so people should not have trouble finding them. I started the truck up winter time and moves the truck like 5 feet then the check engine light came on and was running rought like it felt like it was gonna shake itself apart. Restarted the engine no luck still rough check engine light on. Calld up my local shop suggested the UVHC or icp sensor or something. He said if the check engine light is on its ALWAYS electrical never mechanical. Got under the hood drivers side burnt to a crisp killed the front two injectors. Got my part removed all block parts had to splice in 2 new connecters and cut the old ones used waterproof butt splices and electrical tape. Did all that got under the valve cover removed the metal clips on 2 of the injectors and the plastic ones on the other two Dont be conscerned if the NAPA harness has only metal snaps they fit just fine and pulled the glow plugs wires out. Wired everything back in put the valve cover back on dielectric greased exterior metal contacts hooked them up and started the truck right up. Still runs jsut like an old 7.3 does.

Lessons learned:
Be very carfule with the wiring harness because you can accidentaly cut stuff and ruin it

Valves covers are very easy to remove and replace
Combination of 13 and 10 mm sockets

farthers back right on the drivers side as observed from the front of the truck is hardest to reach use a 3/8 inch drive deep socket you might have to push into heat shielding but its east to get out.

Took an inexperienced person 4 hours to complete in 30 degree weather.

I am just putting the article up there incase people are looking for potential answers. Dec 2011 or 12 diesel power has an article on this same subject.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2013, 06:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Same job but for glow plugs - didn't work

Hello,

I just did the same job because the glow plug wires in the rear connectors were toast. I did the glow too since I had the valve covers off. Problem is my truck is now running really rough after I finished! Really seems like a cylinder or two is missing. The battery indicator light is on in the truck. I'm new to powerstrokes - is this the trouble light for any issue? 1997 f-350 7.3 Any help is appreciated!
Old 04-06-2013, 08:52 AM

how rough is rough when my truck was running rough it was like earth shattering im rattling apart rough. If it is that rough my guess your butt splices didn't have very good contact.

Battery indicator light. If the electrical system on a 97 is close to or identical to a 95 there is 1 thing and only 1 thing that will set that light off(I have shop manuals and know for a for a fact this is true.). The single wired plastic clip on top of the alternator which is like a bridge to the ac dc converter thing cuz your alternator produces ac power and that box converts it to dc. And if you have a known good alternator just grab a small screw driver and pop it off and put it back on. but if you have the original alternator try that first but if you try it 3 times IMOP I would get a new alternator cuz it will go bad eventually anyway. Every few weeks I need to do this on my known good alternator and my original alternator probably wasn't bad. And if your strapped for cash just watch that volt gauge. Hope I didn't ramble to much
Old 04-07-2013, 07:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

problems fixed!!

Hey psdstrkD95, Thanks for the advice! I pulled the single connector off my alternator and shined up the pin w a flat head screw driver. Also pushed the connector blade back togehter tighter and the battery indicator light is out and voltage is back down to normal.

I also figured out the problem with the engine running rough. Pulled the UVCH off each point one at a time and foudn out that one of them didn't make any difference. It was the problem! Middle pin had pushed out right back into the connector. This pin is common to both injectors on that connector so neither cylinder was firing. NAPA harness was faulty from the factory. Replaced it and all is good.

Thanks again for the tip about the alternator. What shop manual do you have? I should get one.
Old 04-07-2013, 11:14 PM

1995 Ford Econoline 7.3 Liter Service Manual Supplement

that is the brand of my manuals there I have four one body, one drive train, and one 7.3 specific and wiring electrical ac specific but its that brand. I have been told they are the same manuals the dealerships use so they are epically helpful. they are from their technical publications department. Should be specific to the year of whatever you need and are worth every penny.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
7.3, burnt electrical smell, glow plug, uvhc, winter

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.