1995 Powerstroke - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2013, 09:59 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
1995 Powerstroke

Ive been working on this Truck for a while. I just finished rebuilding the oil cooler yesterday. This is what doesn't work, Temp gauge, ALT gauge, Oil pressure gauge is in the middle all the time (off/on). I should say this stuff didn't work when I got it too. What it has is a constant smoke (like bad glow plug start up), but i just replaced GPR and it will do it 20mins after I started it. (again I'm also rebuilding the front end so its up on jack stands) It will sometimes almost die, but will catch its self before that happens. I'm going to be borrowing a friends fuel pressure gauge to check that. I just put in a Fuel filter. I don't think its injectors, but it could be them I guess. It has almost 250k on it. Also the EBPV is kicking in after its warmed up which is odd.

Anybody that could explain these problems would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2013, 10:16 AM

Re: 1995 Powerstroke

Ebpv kicking in could be a clogged ebps or tube

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 03-01-2013, 10:24 AM

it kicks in and out. so i know its working, just not why it keeps coming on after its warmed up. If I idle it up it will turn off then come back on.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:31 AM

Whats not normal (at least what I think) Is for the EBPV not on at 600rpm take it up to 1000rpm it will come on, take it up to 2000 rpm it will turn off on the raise then come back on. Normally (at least my 96) The EBVP wont come on a 2000rpm. Its on at Idle and up to 1700rpm, after that it stays off.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:57 PM

Oil "gauge" is working normally. It's just an idiot light with a needle. All the way left with no oil pressure, somewhere in the middle with "enough" oil pressure.

Temp gauge - There are two sending units, one for the gauge and one for the light. Find the sending unit for the gauge (IIRC, it's on the left side of the water pump somewhere). Pull the wire, stick a jumper wire into the terminal on the wire and the other end to a ground. Go in and turn the key to RUN. If the needle buries, the sender is bad. If the needle still doesn't move, the gauge head is most likely bad.

Can you get a scanner on it? It'd be interesting to monitor EOT - engine oil temp. Might explain both the smoke and the EBPV closing.
Old 03-02-2013, 09:40 PM

Ok I should clear some things up.

The oil pressure gauge doesn't move at all. (key off/on)

The temp gauge comes up some, but not like my 96. possibly starting to go. (cab air gets hot so not bad thermostat)

I do have a scanner, but it throughs a fit when i want to read those parameters. Im considering a AE everyday. (I'm going to college to be a Diesel Mechanic)

Im very interested in the oil temp sensor. were is it at, and how much on average?

This truck was drove hard, For example he towed a 45ft house for 20 miles. (and he claims he was doing 40mph+) < I don't believe that part. LOL I do know that he did in fact tow the house. He pulled it right past my place. Just in case you guys think I got a bad deal, I only paid $1600 for it. It does have plenty of power, thats whats keeping me from thinking theres anything terribly wrong with the motor.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
Ebpv kicking in could be a clogged ebps or tube

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Thanks that is currently being cleaned out. They should be telling everybody to clean this thing every oil change. It does have a bad EOT sensor. I'll be sticking in the new one tomorrow. That should cure it. Thanks guys. Next more oil leaks to solve.

Scratch the bad EOT. Unless I got a bad one from Ford it reads the same as the one I took out.

Last edited by gabegoforth; 03-05-2013 at 09:53 PM.
Old 03-07-2013, 06:30 PM

Well I worked on it all day. And it still blows white. Could it be bad injectors? It makes a electrical sounding popping noise under the hood while first warming up. I cant get the turbo temp any hotter than 220f after 10mins of idling and stepping on it. Its on jack stands as I'm rebuilding the front end as well, or I'ld drive it. Maybe next week I can drive it down the road and see if it clears up. It also has a popping noise to the engine in the 2200-2600rpm range, kind of like bad timing. Could the valves be bad? It starts way easer than my 96 it seems.

For some background info I just bought it and brought it home. It wasn't smoking when I drove it home or when i test drove it. Then I took it to the gas station and put $40 in it on my way up to my friends place so he could look at it. Then I tore into it. Starting with the GPR. Then the front end and oil cooler. So far I've got Ball joints and a aFe Exhaust system that is not bent right, plus the put the brackets in the wrong places. So its got to be something thats not working right. I don't believe that its oil or coolant.
Old 03-07-2013, 06:41 PM

If you don't load up the motor, you won't get much in the way of EGTs.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:33 PM

Yeah I know. Not like a Cummins that thin will build have the heat working in under five minutes idling. These Powerstrokes are cold blooded. I do hope to get it going down the road next week.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.