97 Powerstroke rough idle/run turned to no start (DTCs included) - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2013, 02:16 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
97 Powerstroke rough idle/run turned to no start (DTCs included)

Truck info:

Stock 97 F-350 4x4
Auto trans

Back in December during a particularly cold Texas morning I went out, plugged the truck in like I usually do about 2 hours before I have to go anywhere in cold weather. Left the house about an hour and a half after that and she was running fine for still being a little cold. Got all the way down to my road and noticed once I came to a stop a rougher/lower idle like a fuel issue. Sat with the idle up a bit before noticing no improvements so I turned around and went back home and shut it down. It would start and run exactly as the one in this video
with bad UVCH plugs. Once you started it it would lope and you had to give it a little fuel to raise the RPMs until eventually you could let it idle without loping but still sounded like it was running on 4 cylinders/definite miss. All fuses looked intact. Checked the fuel filter and it looked great but we did notice some gunk in the bottom of the bowl. My father brought his scantool home and returned a P0470 EBP code (have always had this) and a P0603 Internal Control Module KAM error but no 1316 to indicate UVCH issues. Pulled both valve covers off anyway and noticed both harnesses were plugged in fully along with all the injectors. Because of the KAM error, ordered a reman IDM from a reputable place in FL and installed it with no change in behavior. My father thought possibly it was the HPOP so we got down to it but noticed no oil around it in the valley. In the process of pulling the fuel bowl we did notice and replace some gummy fuel lines and replaced them as well as cleaned the bowl before reinstalling. The truck sat for a couple weeks due to no time/no money until one day we had an emergency arise and had to use it. Long story short I limped it where we needed to go (I did notice it ran a bit better once engine temps rose but still a somewhat noticeable miss). On the way back however, I was coming up to a stoplight, the trans suddenly downshifted hard and once I got to the light I noticed it had even less power than before, like it was now running on 2 cylinders. Luckily I managed to keep the RPMs up and get through the light before it shut down completely. It wasn't as if someone cut the key off like when the CPS cuts out but rather a gradual decrease in RPMs with no response to throttle until it died. Coasted to the shoulder and tried to restart. The injectors clicked during cranking and it acted like it was trying to fire but wouldn't. Got a pull back to the house and truck sat for another week due to an unexpected out of state trip. When we got back we tried throwing another CPS on it for the sake of argument but to no avail. Hooked it to the computer again and here's the list of DTCs it gave. Quite a bit more than before:

P0603 - ICM KAM error
P0236 - Turbo Boost Sensor A Circuit Performance
P0340 - Cam Position Sensor Circuit Malfunction
P0470 - EBP Circuit Malfunction (normal)
P1280 - Integrated Control Panel Circuit Performance (ICP was out during the test)

Ran an injector buzz test then got the following codes:

P1293 - High Side Open Bank 1 (Right)
P1294 - High Side Open Bank 2 (Left)

After doing this we put the first cam sensor back on since the new one threw the 0340. It's the others that are troubling.

Other things of note:
  • ~1500 miles on new oil/filter
  • Now when cranking it doesn't try to fire
  • Oil pressure was right in the middle of the R/M on the gauge before it quit
  • Noticed no oil pressure on dummy gauge while cranking. Took the oil sending unit off and hooked a manual gauge to it. Noticed no oil pressure either.
  • No oil in ICP when disconnected (good thing)
  • WTS light illuminates and goes out as normal
  • Tach registers when cranking

Right now the only thing we can think of is that the LPOP failed due to the lack of oil pressure. Any help or steering in another direction would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by LonestarPSD; 02-27-2013 at 03:12 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2013, 05:06 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I'll ask the usual dumb question: How's the main oil level in the crankcase? Is there oil within an inch of the top in the HPOP reservoir? Cheers!
Old 02-28-2013, 03:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for replying. Oil is clean and in the crosshatch pattern on the dipstick. Reservoir's dry though. I've read on several threads to fill up the res and see if it starts so once some free time is gained we will try that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.